Blood Run Question

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by STEELnICE, Aug 23, 2017.

1. slightofhand

slightofhand

Not really. It’s a bigger diameter line obviously but it picks up off the water really nice for longer mends. In fact I am still using it right now for steel with 8lb Leader and it works fine. Not sure what the big deal is with always trying to use smaller mainline. Who cares as long as you are using smaller Leader that’s all the fish see (don’t see) anyway. Not sure why guys get all goofy about having to use 10 lb mainline not sure why it matters. Bigger line so far has floated and mended just as good and saved me a lot of floats from snags in trees I would have broke a 10 lb mainline on

2. brian0013

brian0013

I have always love siglon f .12lb for steel 10 /8lb seagar sts fluoro .switch to 15 for salmon this year as the fish class wash huge in the pm . I have tried br and thought it comparable to SF but bang for your buck has to be SF .330 yards for 12$.with the right backing you can respool twice !also think the SF doesn’t twist as muchas BR I’m forced to sidecast a lot in tight spot.as for the shot line I don’t run one ,shots on the main 18 in liter

3. 1MoreKast

1MoreKast

Awesome. Agree with your statement. Fish shouldn't be seeing your mainline anyways float fishing...the heavier you can go on the main the heavier you can go on your leader. I know a few guys that only run 12# leader and put plenty of fish on shore...I've pretty much quit using anything less than 8# fluoro leader unless the water is GIN clear. Here in Ohio we rarely get that clear anyways.

4. STEELnICE

STEELnICE

The fish can see my mainline for two reasons. One being I don't use a shot line so my main line ends 18" away from the bait. The second being we have lots of crystal clear waters in Michigan. Still kind of unconvinced about the Blood Run and think I'll probably re-spool with 12 lb. Mean Green like usual.

brian0013 likes this.
  5. wyandot

wyandot

I picked up a spool of the 15lb. today while doing some x-mas shopping at Jay's. I've always had good results with other brands, but the curiosity finally got the best of me, so I'll give it a shot and see for myself.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  6. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Augh, you didn't need to get me anything for Christmas, but I appreciate it.:)

D

wyandot likes this.
  7. brian0013

brian0013

Ill say after a few years of pinning I got rid off my shot line and shot right to my main line and don’t seam to have trouble hooking up.if it’s shoted right and your trotting it they should see the bait first.that being said how do u like the maxima 12 on the pin ?I run it on my spinning gear and love it

8. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

You’ll like it. Smooth, clean running line. I don’t pin fish, but I get great drifts with it on my long rods.

wyandot likes this.
  9. STEELnICE

STEELnICE

Brian, you're correct about trotting but the fish can still see what's 18" behind the bait. They are often not bothered but when fishing crystal clear water sometimes you get to see the fish swim around your presentation.

I was actually referring to McCoy Mean Green which is my favorite mainline. Maxima is obviously a great line too.

A_S, do you put your shots on the BR or does the buoyancy force you to use a separate shot line?

10. wyandot

wyandot

So far, so good. I put half of a 300yd. spool on my reel and fished it yesterday without any complaints. We'll see how it holds up over the next month or so compared to my old go-to mono.

11. wyandot

wyandot

A_S, do you put your shots on the BR or does the buoyancy force you to use a separate shot line?[/QUOTE]

I think I can answer that after fishing it yesterday. It doesn't float much better, if at all than p-line cxx, which I ran for several seasons without shot lines.

12. STEELnICE

STEELnICE

Interesting, I thought buoyancy was supposed to be the advantage of using it?

13. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

I do put my larger shot below my bobber on the main. Sometimes I run a shot line, sometimes not. I honestly think bloodrun and Siglon are pretty comparable. BR I feel is a bit more durable, than Siglon. It's also very thin, so nearly an entire 300yd spool will fit a 4000 series reel, which is what I use on my 13' and 15' Avids.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  14. slightofhand

slightofhand

I would have to agree with you, and use a shot line myself in those situations. That said I have had guys standing right next to me absolutely school me with hi vis pink or yellow mainline with no shot line in 4 feet of crystal water. Go figure! I have a buddy in WV that fishes trout in 3 feet of crystal water with hi vis pink 10lb blood run, no shot line, 3lb test fluoro and a #20 hook with a single egg. He kills it, pink line and all running everywhere through the hole. Would not have believed it myself until I saw it. His floats are clear plastic the size of a toothpick, crazy crazy stuff.

15. kellyman

kellyman Premium Member

Been fishing it for several years real happy with it I go 10 pound 6 pound leader and 15 pounds 8 pound leader have not had a problem.