Blind Windows Opening

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jfishbones, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Chessieman

Chessieman

IF you have a large enough blind like my main one, gun ports. Clear Lexan held in place by rare earth magnets and rotating spring arms, fully removable to keep open after the blind is toasty and your coat is off. The rest of the windows are Lexan with camouflage paint applied to certain outside areas established 100_0043.JPG pre placement. You can move around with the deer not seeing you and the predawn glow of the heater is not noticable on the outside. Any sound from the inside of the blind does not really go outside the blind i.e. pop the top!

up520, jfishbones and Wild Thing like this.
  2. jfishbones

jfishbones

RJM, I was thinking that just could not figure out the angles. I have corner bow windows so I want the rope to be as close to the front wall as possible when the window is open or closed. Thanks for the info.

3. jfishbones

jfishbones

4. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

That is the biggest...maybe the only Con that I have with my sliding windows. The channels do freeze up sometimes under the right conditions. All you can do is force them open enough to get your rifle out the windows in a few spots until the heater thaws things out. Like pgpn says - there is probably no "Perfect" window.

5. Chessieman

Chessieman

My old windows were gun ports that swung open. One morning was hunting and the predawn bought on a sleet storm that put on 1/2" of ice over everything. Luckily I had a old fashion 12 volt blow window dryer ( From the 60's) that I could melt the ice along the 6" on the bottom. I could just see if I had a slider and the big one would walk by. Think he would see me with my tounge out against the inside of the window? :eek:

Wild Thing likes this.
  6. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

I cut the channels so there is a little room between the panels so they can slide by each other with no issues. This leaves a little air space between the panels so they are not air tight. Insects can and do sometimes crawl in between panels but that usually isn't an issue during deer season.

I normally open the windows so there is an inch or so opening between all panels while hunting. This helps to keep them from fogging up when the propane stove is running and it also makes it easy to reach up and slide the right one open easily if a deer shows up unexpectedly.

Most recently I have been cutting a hole near the roof of the blind for a screened vent hole as we run propane stoves in all of our blinds...but I still encourage our hunters to leave the windows open slightly for good ventilation when they are using their stoves.

Also - You can see here that the larger window on this 5X5 blind has only 3 window panels. I should have made this a 4 panel window for more options in shooting directions.

DSC02693.jpg

As somebody else mentioned, it is nice to apply window tint to those windows which face the rising or setting sun. I used to tint all of the windows but in low light you can't see out very well so you do have to leave some windows open to hunt the first and last 30 minutes. Now, I only apply the tint where needed for sun screen.

DSC03423.jpg

I don't like having windows full length on the sides as it is nice to have some "cover" for the hunter. This 3 panel window in a shorter span is perfect for opening options.

DSC02699.jpg

In most cases if the blind is set up right you shouldn't really need any windows in the back but it seems everyone wants to at least have the option of looking behind them if they want to. There are 2 small, tinted windows (sliders) in the back of this blind, but we have never shot a deer out of either of them...nor either of the side windows either. All of the shooting from this blinds occurs at the bottom of the hill along the edge of the swamp.

DSC02698.jpg

up520, 3X8, throughtheice88 and 2 others like this.
  7. Chessieman

Chessieman

When I first built my blind a couple decades ago there was a manufacturer that was coming out with a non reflective Lexan or Plexiglass.

8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

This blind was built by the previous landowner and was already there when we purchased the 40. It has all hinged windows - some hinge up and others hinge down. They work very well but when I sit in this blind, sometimes I still wish they were sliders, although this blind is very air tight - actually probably too much so.

Oops - forgot the pics...

BTW - This blind is in a great spot. "Pepper", the guy who built it killed 36 bucks from this blind and we have taken some very nice ones here since we took it over.

IMG_2939 (1).jpg

IMG_2940 (1).jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942 (2).jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  9. jfishbones

jfishbones

Thanks Frank, great info.
    Anyone ever put tinting on the outside of the window to cut down on sun glare when moving the windows?

10. I just installed two sliders this year and I was sitting inside my blind wondering if they may freeze shut. My attempted solution will be to leave a small propane torch in the blind to heat the track up if it happens. Hopefully it ll work. I bough these windows this year. Not too bad a price but shipping was pricey
    3FC51167-BA77-414C-9AEF-14AD2F29576A.png

Wild Thing and up520 like this.
  11. pgpn123

pgpn123

up520 likes this.
  12. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

I have built many of Blinds and have tried many styles of windows I find sliders worked the best for me. I can make them very easy autumn a couple pieces of one by and some plexiglass and they will slide silently deer will never hear them only takes a finger tip to open them. Sliders are great because you can close them a 100% or open them as much as you would like. JMO.

Wild Thing likes this.
  13. jfishbones

jfishbones

Anyone build sliders using 1x pvc board, seems like it may be quieter and not have swelling issues.

14. Luvdayoop

Luvdayoop

I used plexiglass, with hinges on bottom/swingdown with magnetic strips/tape. Stuck well to plexiglass, and I used tiny nails to hold them to wood inside blind. Worked great for me, very quiet opening, and closing as long as your slow and careful closing.

15. ekbelt3

ekbelt3

we find vinyl insulated windows that slide horizontally on fb market place and craigslist. They work great