Bish's Alders

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by old graybeard, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Oger

Oger

Hope I Didn't screw up....I didn't think they needed tubes like a fruit tree.

2. stickman1978

stickman1978

Not to late. If they did get to them you can still cage/tube and they will bounce back. They are pretty resilient.

3. KMB2481

KMB2481

Same here; I planted 150 from Coldstream as well first week of April and they have shown very little growth in comparison to the 50 of Bish's that I planted.

4. KMB2481

KMB2481

I tubed 50% of the SA I planted and they are much much further along than the ones without tubes.

5. Oger

Oger

Really. .....how much are those tubes a piece and where do u get them

6. Big CC

Big CC

Personally I like the Tubex Combitube 5ft. I tried some of the Pro Tubes but I don't like them as well. If you happen to be near Hillsdale shoot me a PM and I will give you a few of each of those to try.

https://www.treeprotectionsupply.com/

7. sniper

sniper

Morse Nursery in Battle Creek sells them for under a buck apiece I believe...Worth every penny..

Attached Files:

8. brokentines

brokentines

Other then bucks rubbing on them I see no reason to tube them. They grow so fast and would rarely be browsed if ever. Mine took a lot of rubbing damage the first year I got them from Scott, but have since exploded with growth.

old graybeard likes this.
  9. Muskegonbow

Muskegonbow

The Speckled Alders I planted 15 months ago from Coldstream have barely grown 3 or 4 inches on average in rich moist soil. Very disappointed. On the other hand the Willow cuttings I harvested and shoved in the ground last December are two to three feet tall. Exceeded expectations.

10. sniper

sniper

Not sure about the growth of alders, but the greenhouse affect tubes create with smaller trees such as fruit, and nut trees are night and day compared with trees that are not tubed...They hold moisture...But yes, in my area, the bucks antlers are the number one killer of my small planted tree if their not tubed...I take my chances with the evergreens and have paid dearly in the past..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  11. christibish

christibish

Thanks for sharing photos Kevin! Warms my heart to see how well they are doing and to know you have a little piece of Scott in your habitat. :)

QDMAMAN, Craves, KMB2481 and 3 others like this.
  12. brokentines

brokentines

Absolutely, great for fruit and nut as tubes offer protection from browse as well as the greenhouse effect you stated.

13. Ruttinbuck

Ruttinbuck

Same here. Mine Leafed out really well and appear healthy but not much growth.

14. smith34

smith34

Not much growth, above ground! Most transplants spend energy on reestablishing a good root ball before top growth continues

15. Muskegonbow

Muskegonbow

I agree. But I was seeing posts of 8-10 foot trees after two years with these Speckled Alders from Coldstream. Mine are still little twigs.