Bingo Working mallards.

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Shiawassee_Kid, Oct 20, 2020.

1. yeeyee outdoorsmen

yeeyee outdoorsmen

2. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Probably the best tip I heard in a long time..I always try to talk to the others in our field. Most the time it works out for the best for the both of our fields.
    And if they are the older ill even offer them a ride in if we have a good working bird night..

3. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

i've always done it. even if the field was setup before me and i had the wind. i would politely motor up and talk to them....taking a chance they don't get all pissy. I've explained to them that i have the wind, i could undercut them but i'm not gonna...i'm gonna move down and give them some room...i try to educate that they set themselves up for a huge disappointment if it was anyone else. lol. if i setup on the cut they would never see a bird...with a gap between us at least the birds that slide me will go into them.

always talk to everyone and at least congratulate them when they do things right..encourage good behavior. I watched a crew the other day just put the hurt on...every bird was right in their deeks. they did it right and it was actually really fun to watch. told them so at the dike.

4. Dzank

Dzank

All great advice Kid. Thanks. I got a couple good vids at FP this year. 3 man limit with 2 hours to go. The birds were really moving so we pulled our decoys real quick and watched the show.

There's some long range gunners at FP. I saw ducks drop there that just astounded me.

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Its real hard to let the birds swing at FP cause the fields in front of you will be shooting out the back of there corn at our swinging birds and thats where ALOT of the sky busting starts. Ill let them swing if im alone in field for ever, guys in my group are like dogs ready to jump. Last year at 1 of our Shiawassee hunts we killed all our birds in the decoys except for that one teal and that was in north piror road.One thing I love about shiawassee and even Harsen is the spacing in between the fields..

6. flighthunter

flighthunter

Good stuff.

Too bad this wasn’t shot with a shotcam :)

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  7. Shiawassee_Kid

Shiawassee_Kid

thats definitely one of our bright spots. when we do the layout each year we have the rulers out marking off spacing. I think it 550 or 600' minimum in most zones...something like that. we also went to more squares/rectangles instead of rows with a cut. The gap is bigger in the cuts to keep guys from fighting over it. Not all fields but Priors and 30's were done this way and it seemed to get a positive feedback. Sure stopped the guys fighting over the cuts

8. goose schatt

goose schatt

At fish point they will lie to your face!

the_skog and Shiawassee_Kid like this.
  9. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

I used to like the 50 - 56 fields at fish point when there were only 5 strips of corn in that block, but somewhere they added 2 more so guys would get a spot to hunt and not get turned away. I see there view on it , but it also hurts more than it helps..Used to love those fields back in the day.I think shiawassee has alot of hands of duck hunters that are out there and makes good decisions on field set ups. I would love if FP would eliminate 2 fields out of there bigger blocks of fields, would be better hunting for all.But alot more hunter parties turned away..Im fine if I dont get to hunt..Tons of bay shore close to explore.

Shiawassee_Kid and BumpRacerX like this.
  10. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

I was bummed about not getting a field at NQP last week, but basically came to the same conclusion. Lots of marsh there to play in and check out. Rather have the zones and fields the way they are then jam more into the space that is there.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  11. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

I can think of 2 of them, that will do it on daily basis. I try to steer clear of them but it doesn't always work. And even say you find any of your birds last night and always say all of them..LOL
    MY AZZ you did..

12. goose schatt

goose schatt

Quality over quantity

natureboy2534 likes this.
  13. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

The best part about this site is people sharing videos and pictures IMO. Why ya gotta hate?

I like the vid, more the better!

michiganoutdoorsman likes this.
  14. Divers Down

Divers Down

Beautiful sight...minimal good calling and calm ducks working.
    At PM those woulda been shot at by at least 4 different zones.
    Ban spinners and kazoo calling.:hide:

15. justducky430

justducky430

Good video and love the suggestions - this is the way to educate and encourage better behavior. Keep em coming!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app