Bill for baiting and feeding

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by fishing dave, Mar 9, 2019.

1. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Guess I dont see anything wrong with that..lol

2. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

Spin Spin Spin , the truth is no bait at honey hole no trophy antlers at the honey hole.

Baiting is selfish you seem to have it backwards. Baiting can change and control deer eating habits, and the master baiters try to keep big bucks at their honey hole!

No baiting makes deer move and travel a heck of a lot more looking for natural food.

Allowing more hunters having a chance at various deer.

TriggerDiscipline, hawgeye and jeffm like this.

3. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

I think you are leaving out several variables. Majority of land hunted is private. Majority of hunters approve of baiting. Baiting especially feeders are used to encourage day time feeding. Many deer come out to feed at 8:45-9:45 on a hayfield. By the time season is in full swing shooting time stops at 5:30 - 6 pm way past the deers normal time to feed, especially the older bucks. I think they will move but will continue to stay nocturnal, no reason for them not to.

Deadend food plots suggest means to keep deer on your property during daylight using food plots. So if the effect is done by food plots (selfish and keeping them on your property). How are hunters going to see more deer?

I think it will depend on a lot of variables in the area someone is hunting. Not a blanket statement either way. I do believe the majority will see a lot less. Especially if you count those that stop hunting because of the ban on baiting.

Scout 2, Justin and ridgewalker like this.
  4. mbrewer

mbrewer

In my experience, for better or worse, almost none of what you say is true. Not to an appreciable degree at least.

buckguts1970 and Justin like this.
  5. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Another thing is food plot can keep deer in areas where heavy snow falls and keep them there longer. When they go to leave many don't make it of they have to travel very far to a yarding area. Bait piles do not do this as much. Spin feeders will keep deer in an area even during gun season. Many large bucks have been shot under or around one of these during Thanksgiving week. Should also say this was before APR's

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    rwenglish1 and Hunters Edge like this.
  6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

That has not been my experience of 50 years of hunting the UP in either Ag areas or where high quality food plots are. When it’s time to go it’s time to go. I have no idea what triggers the exact moment that deer leave for the yards but it happens every year.

Wild Thing likes this.
  7. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Ag fields and food plots are a little different. One is big enough to support them for a longer period of time. In the 60's they use to feed in my grandparents and uncles field here all winter. I had them get stuck here one winter and I found a lt of dead ones in the spring. After that I planted things that would die out when the temp dropped and usually plant rye for the winter which they feed heavy on in the spring

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  8. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

Tell me again why we are discussing baiting right now, CWD?

If you want baiting to override CWD than will baiting overide TB.

9. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Sorry but sitting in a box blind with a heater and starting at a spinning corn feeder should not even be considered hunting. If those that do or did this stop hunting...good.

JAA likes this.
  10. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

The person that did this did stop hunting. He was 84 years old and he died. He was my dad

11. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

Hers one for you guys, my yard spin feeder didn’t go off till after dark. Something for you all to ponder. Hmm.

Scout 2 likes this.
  12. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Most that are so against them don't know they can be set to go off when you want them to.

13. Scout 2

Scout 2 Premium Member

Just another thing on this is I don't know how old you are but when you get older you will do whatever you have to keep hunting. Until you have been there you have no right to tell someone they should not be hunting, just because it does not fit your agenda

Justin, Hunters Edge and hmrx like this.
  14. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Sorry for your loss. And as I have said before here should be exceptions for older and handicapped.

15. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

How old is to old? Why do you..have...to bait to keep hunting? I hunted one year on crutches with a broken ankle and still made it around. Did it suck..yes. and I have no agenda. I could care less if you bait but dont tell me that I have to agree with it. At times duri g late archery I have made it easier and baited. It was and is not the same imo. Baiting is not the same...