close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Biggest in years

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by plugger, Jun 21, 2017.

1. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Horrible picture but I was alone and needed to get this fish back in the water as quick as possible. First brown over 24 in several years.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1498103211.360652.jpg

jampg, Munuscool, Trout King and 16 others like this.
  2. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Beautiful fish Plugger! Congratulations. I'd be interested in reading the details if you're willing to share.

slowpaya likes this.

3. Mike

Mike

Nice!

slowpaya likes this.
  4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Is that the one that got your phone wet?

If so, it was definitely worthy.

slowpaya likes this.
  5. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

6. adam bomb

adam bomb

7. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

What a beast!!!

slowpaya likes this.
  8. Rasputin

Rasputin Premium Member

Nice! Break any rods yet this year?

slowpaya likes this.
  9. Nostromo

Nostromo

Nice fish.

slowpaya likes this.
  10. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Very nice. Congrats.

slowpaya likes this.
  11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Not any fly rods but I think two spinning rods. I thought I might broke a couple nights ago when I fell on. It survived because it was in a hard case.

slowpaya likes this.
  12. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Not this one. The phone swam for a 20 incher three nights ago. After my wife took the phone apart and dried and cleaned everything with contact cleaner it. Works great. When I saw the screen going funky and the switches didn't I thought it was done. When I saw all the little pieces and the mud I sure there was no hope. It's working great. I am pretty mechanical but I don't know how anyone can deal with stuff that small and complicated.

slowpaya and FREEPOP like this.
  13. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

14. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The fish was one of the few classic fly casting type I catch. Last night the bugs were sparse and someone else was in the spot I wanted. We hunt big fish and usually big fish are in tight brush or some type of woody cover that you can't reach by casting my main rod is set up with a 4 foot leader for dabbling. If you have a longer leader when up try to dabble the weight of the fly line pulls your fly tight to the tip. Often just the fly is in the water, not the line or leader. Your approach stealthiness is crucial to any chance for success. Last night when I moved down to an open bend a combination of sparse bugs and dropping water had pushed some fish out of the overhanging brush into the current seam. It is unusual to find big browns without overhead cover. I switched over to a more conventional 4 wt setup. and care fully worked my cast in until I had a good drift in the seam. About the 6th cast a 16 inch fish took my fly as I let my fly float past a big fish. After I got this fish in and my fly dried out the bigger fish was feeding again so I cast to him him a few times and had a take and a brief battle but came up slack. I had heard a big sounding fish feed 50 yards up stream so up there I went. Again the fish was feeding in a current seam outside the brush, the current speed was much faster between me and him so I concentrated on dropping the fly only a foot in front of him to get it over him without drag. This doesn't sound too hard until you try to do this in pitch darkness. After several cast the big boy hit and I was able to turn his first run before he could make it back to the brush. when I got him in the middle of the river it was a long but uneventful battle. By the time I got this fish landed and revived the river had gone quite. The whole bite last about thirty minutes. I am stuck in Kalamazoo at a agility dog trial, with my wife, this weekend but that area got almost two inches of rain today so hexing is go to be off for a few days anyhow.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Munuscool, slowpaya and Gamechanger like this.
  15. Gamechanger

Gamechanger Premium Member

Thanks for the recap. Lots of good information there and it's obvious you're both skilled and experienced in going after the big guys after dark.

slowpaya likes this.