Big Manistee R.

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Johnny 2581, Mar 11, 2009.

1. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

Might those numbers (bait fish) - if correct, reflect the ''upswing" in natural production that caused Great lakes fisheries managers to lower the amount of stocked fish due the exponential numbers of wild fish in the creel ?, also the sudden increase in wild production would represent possibly the trend in landlocks to aclimatize to their surroundings ?.. !....

2. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I too suffered from shattered rod syndrome !.... then I quit using Loomis products !.....Back in the early 80's I quit the Shimano thing when those monsters melted the drags on that stuff too !.... I still got me a supply of them ol Zebco C-4's....

3. Splitshot

Splitshot

I didn't make the statement that 5 lb fish out fight 10 or 15 lb. fish, I said I prefer to fight the smaller fish so how can you disagree with what I like, and if you have never caught a lethargic steelhead, you haven't caught that many.

If I am combat fishing I will use 8, even 10 lb. test but I seldom use anything heavier than a 6 wt. rod and 6 lb. test never have a problem landing fish.

4. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I never had a problem landing them on the light stuff iether !... if it didn't break on me !... when I did land em on the light stuff the problem was getting them to live after it, seems Mr. Steelhead has a problem with resesitation after words, especially in very cold water, (below 42) his (or her) ability to absorb enough oxygen to replenish what he has expended fighting is greatly reduced, so if n your a releasin those fish, do the fish a favor, go ahead and beaf up on that line test and get em beached or netted A.S.A.P., they'll have a much lower mortality rate if you do !.

5. Splitshot

Splitshot

Be honest here Mettlefish, are you one of those altruistic all knowing trout fishermen, perhaps even one of those very special trout fishermen who are one with the fish. We have been waiting for someone who hopefully will leed us and teach us about the fragility of trout and how to handle them correctly. Over the years we have seen a lot of“I know a lot” guys and speaking personally I hope you won’t just be another disappointment.

One of the reasons I am so optimistic about you is how quickly you surmised that because I use lighter line than most I must tire the fish to near complete exhaustion and thereby reducing their chances for survival. That is what resesitation means, isn’t it? I tried to look it up in the dictionary but couldn’t find it. Anyway I am very pleased that you corrected my ineptness. I guess I will have to go to a heavier line next time so when I do hook one it will have a better chance to live and increase the odds for all my other fellow fishermen and women.

The title of Mr. Steelhead is a a heavy burden but unfortunately it is not mine to bear. We do have some outstanding steel head fishermen on this site and I would name some of them, but I don’t want to embarrass anyone. I don’t know about them, but I am ready to give you the title since you so clearly know much more about the subject than I do. Anyway before I decide to post anything about trout (steelhead), do you mind if I send it to you first so that way you won’t have to embarrass me in public again?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  6. Trout King

Trout King

I guess you wouldn't like where I come from. When we are fishing the local hole and they are thick its...beach, or net, unhook and toss back in...they all seem to swim away. Sometimes its a nice 6 ft drop for the poor fishies.

I've never had a problem with killing fish using 6 or even 4 lb test. And I have never had a fair hooked fish fight for much more than 5 minutes...max. I have had them not do so well after a fight when the water is warm...but thats no biggie...they just get put on the rope.

that is unusual for a steelhead to bite 7 times isn't it?

As far as fish sizes...personally my biggest steelhead was 12 lbs. The biggest I've seen in person was my dad's 16 lber that went on the wall, from about 15 years ago. Most fish I catch are in the 5-8 lb range. I heard fromn a reliable source the biggest fish they have weighed recently at the LM was 12.5 lbs.

And salmon spawn works just as well as anything else IMHO. My best year, which was 2 years ago and I used nothing but cured king spawn.
    What makes a bigger difference imo is in hardware fishing. When I throw spinners...copper or nickel? clear water copper seems much better. Dirty...nickel. Thats just my opinion though. Good luck and tight lines to all.

7. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

Split shot... if you would spend a lil time away from "this site" you may come across documentation of my claims from some certified Trout (they are really a member of the Salmon family or are they ?...) people, called Biologists or Ichthyologists.... I don't remember who did the study at this time , but I do remember it was in S.T.S.. And I do know I have personally experienced this more than once. I am not saying or implying you are not a good fisherman, I was only offering information on a subject I thought you may not be aware of. I dont want to waste fish... do you !... I suppose you never have their teeth cut you off aye.... please teach me that trick !, I fish plugs on no less than 17lb. and yarn and eggs on 30 pound power pro with a 20 pound flouro leader, no wasted time tying rigs and leaving 20' pieces of mono in the water to foul my next drift iether...as for Hardware.. well lets just say your preferences go slightly against traditional preferences, but... to each their own, do I have any experience with hardware !...HUHUHUHU...... dont ask !...

8. bigbuckbob

bigbuckbob

Mettlefish I'm overwelmed w/ all your knowledge!!!!!!!! or maybe not ---30lb test for a 6-12# fish, sounds like OVERKILL to me!!!!!!!

9. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

just for the sake of being in an arguement right ray?:rolleyes: you sure write like those "i know a lots" you talk down about. instead of talking down to everyone maybe think about contributing something positive to the site(i just had to play the internet politics card once in my life):lol:;).

mettlefish,

we need to meet up on the river and talk fish dude. your theories and ideas definately put you in the 10% if you know what i mean;). you would fit right in with the crew and we always welcome those that contribute. heck maybe we have met before, and not even realized it.

anyways tight lines and tail dancers,

mark

10. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

isn't that what you guys run for 6-8lb. kings in the big lake while trolling???:lol::rolleyes:

11. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

"line shy !... I don't think they know what line is"
    (Buzz Ramsey in an S.T.S. article a few years back)

Some of you guys seem awfully ''short fused" ...but that is another story. So tell me your beliefs on the lite line thing guys. I wonder if they will imulate what I once thought ?.. Mark, thanks for the 10% thing.... they say you'll find those 10% in 1% of the water !..

12. KWB

KWB Banned

"Brown Pump" are you serious? That is just utterly amazing. Is that an original Quest32a term?

13. Ranger Ray

Ranger Ray Smells like, Victory! Premium Member

Let me go get my waders on. The BS in here is getting awful deep. Look! there is a 10 percenter now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  14. Fishbone

Fishbone Banned

:lol:

15. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Do you 10% guys have a membership card or just a secret hanndshake? I wonder if there is anyway us mere mortals could determine If the guy up or down the river was a faled 10%er?