Big Manistee R.

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Johnny 2581, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Ron Matthews

Ron Matthews

What is a regular basis?
    Cause I know guy's that do it year to year, every yr.

2. bigbuckbob

bigbuckbob

I Know of 2 over 14 this year(last 3wks) sorry guys there are still big fish around.....

3. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

thats it? does anybody remember 1999, or were you guys not fishing for steelhead back then? the numbers dont lie.

since the copied text is not cooperating ill provide a link to the master angler program. first select rainbow trout as designated species. then type in the start and end year of 1999. keep the counties tab at "ALL" and the water body tab at "ALL" as well. next take a look at the numbers for both catch and keep and catch and release. then type in a start year of 2005 and an end year of 2009 with all the same information. get ready for a culture shock.

http://www.michigandnr.com/MasterAngler/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. quest32a

quest32a Mods

So what I read from that is the past 2 years, since 06 there have been a totla of 7 master angler fish... pretty sad.

5. Blaketrout

Blaketrout

:lol::lol::lol:

This thread cracks me up..

Cookie cutters... Yawn...:lol:

'99/'00=what it's all about. Amazing years.

6. Steely-Head

Steely-Head

I caught a certified 23lber the other day on a jig tipped with a slice of Armour hot dog...

7. Fishndude

Fishndude

If the Master Angler records for Rainbows bothers you, then you REALLY don't want to look at the MA records for Kings for that same timeframe. Only 2 in 2007, and 5 in 2008. I don't think that increase is indicative that the fishery is getting better.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. Splitshot

Splitshot

What does it matter if someone says they are catching 15 lb steelhead even if they show a picture of a 7 pounder.

The guy who started this thread, caught one hell of a steel head, but as a few pointed out, made some unfortunate statements.

In the end, he did land one monster steel head and I am glad he posted the picture.

There are some big fish around for sure, but a couple of weeks ago there was a tournment on the Big Manistee and the fish that won weighed 7 lbs.

I know lots of guys who steelhead fish around here and I can tell you if anyone is catching any big fish, they are keeping it a secret. I hear lots of stories, but not much in the way of proof even if it really doesn't matter.

Besides I would rather catch a 5 to 7 lb steelhead than a 12 to 15 pounder any day. The smaller fish are faster, jump more and raise more hell than the bigger fish and you don't have to drag them in once they are spent.

9. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

i sure miss those days, but seeing as it is in the current state of the next generation of steelheading...:lol::lol::lol:

10. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I wonder if the current downsizing is related to non - selective measures in use by the D.N.R. , it is well known that land locked Salmonids decline in size relative to their surroundings. The Skamania strain was "developed" by selecting the largest of the specimens that were trapped (Washugal River) and utilizing their Roe and Milt, is it possible our D.N.R. has developed down sized strains of both Kings, Coho & Steelhead ?.... Yes I realize Skamania's are not a hybrid / cross, they are "genetisized"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  11. Whit1

Whit1 Premium Member

I believe that is more forage fish based. The population of that food source has been declining in the Great Lakes for the past five years. Look what's happened to the average size of king salmon taken from the lakes in the past few years........it's declined.....a result of a deline in forage fish.

12. METTLEFISH

METTLEFISH

I have'nt noticed any skinny fish in LK. MI. ,... in fact there seems to be much more Alewives around now than back around late 90's or early 2000"s, that's just a casual observation, but I have not seen many empty stomachs the past few years !...

13. Fishndude

Fishndude

Not according to the DNR trawling samples. They seem to think that the entire forage base @ lake Michigan is declining every single year, for the last 6 years, or so. Significant declines, including Alewives. I would guess the average King returning to the Big Man last fall right around 8#. Not many over 20#. Fewer fish than ever before, but still quite a few around. It was estimated that between 35,000 and 50,000 Kings returned to the Big Man each year, around 10 years ago. If you cut 35K in half, you still have 17,000relatively large fish. With that many fish around, and the majority of them trying to spawn in a fairly narrow window of a few weeks, most people would not notice a 50% decline. But cut that number in half, and suddenly people start asking, "where are the fish?"

I heard "where are the fish," a lot, last Fall; regarding Steelhead runs in most States around the Great Lakes.

I have not actually seen a Steelhead over 15# caught in quite a few years, although I know some are caught each year. I haven't been schooled by any outsized Steelhead in many years. I miss that.

Sorry, Splitshot, but I have to disagree with you about preferring to catch 5# - 7# Steelies. I have never had a real large Steelhead on that didn't kick me around right proper. I did catch a 5# fish, last Fall, that I literally hooked and fought 7 times before I finally landed it. All in about 20 minutes. That fish was just suicidal. It fought like crazy, and I had a very good time with it. But I would still rather have fought a 15# fish that fought the same way. Those big ole Skams from the old days were just amazing. I mostly used a 10 weight rod for them, and felt under-gunned a lot of times.

14. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

excellent points. will look into this for sure.

15. TheUrbanMustache

TheUrbanMustache Guest

i couldn't find a nice way to word it breck, but you pretty much summed it up right there. 1999: 3 shattered rods in 2 days, and a melted drag on a 4000 stradic. enough said. it was like combining the fight of a tarpon and a fight of a jackfish. until you had the right equipment you didn't stand a fighting chance. my buddy tommy ended up buying a 10'6" lamiglas mooching rod just to TRY and control those psychos. GOD do i miss those fish.