Big manastique lake , curtis, mi

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland UP Lakes' started by Gastro399, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Gastro399

Gastro399

Hi, we are going to the big man next week and I thought I would rent a small boat for some fishing. I would appreciate any help I can get on what spices of fish I should target. Thanks

2. paynegang5

paynegang5

My family and I have been going to the big lake for about 20 years now. We will be there 22nd thru 29th of July. We target walleye and pike. Drift the weed beds in 8-10 feet of water. I usually drift a crawler harnesses or lindy rig with a leach, and cast crank baits with a second pole. Both will catch fish

3. Drake

Drake

My wife and I might stop by there for a day or two on our way back home
    from Lake Gogebic
    Just wondering what colors you find work best for you?
    ( I know it depends on the day, but what is your go to for the lake?)
    Thanks, Dave

4. paynegang5

paynegang5

View attachment 262954
    blue and silver rattle traps always produce.

Drake likes this.
  5. Drake

Drake

I've got to tell you I've never heard of rattle traps for anything except for bass!
    Always swim baits for pike or live bait for walleye(some cranks for walleye)
    Dave

6. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

Chartreuse / firetiger and copper has always worked for me there

7. Drake

Drake

Thanks, I'm really new to walleye fishing open water,
    and can use any info I can get.
    Dave

8. casscityalum

casscityalum Premium Member

Good luck up there. Staying on south lake but towing the boat up and staying the week of 7-13 August. Hopefully get into some fish. Never fished it so gunna give it a go.

9. HORNSnHOOKS

HORNSnHOOKS

Pine bluff resort. Great place to stay super convenient boat rentals and slips. I've stayed there with family and buddies a few times. Check out there web sight. Nice deep cut/weeds straight out from there you can drag harnesses for decent walleye. It's a IMG_0818.PNG nice centralized location in the upper to take day trips to see just about everything.

10. badboys2

badboys2

I am also heading up this weekend for the week and have a boat rented. Plan to target pike, walleye, and perch. Staying near Cooks bay and any help on getting on the fish would be appreciated.

11. JBhunter45

JBhunter45

I'll be in the Curtis area from the 3rd through 9th if anyone wants to coordinate.
    Blue Alumacraft tiller.

12. gatorman841

Perch fishing is going great on the big lake , walleye was tough for me only landed 3 (2 keeps). I mainly trolled for them so slips in the thick weeds would be a lot better I'd guess. Pike fishing was good with chubs and had decent action topwater for smallies last hour before dark. Weather was great the last wk except 1 day. Water temp was 74 this am. Good luck. Bugs were non existent during the day on the lake but after dark mosquitos take over, even fishing a few unmentionable trout waters the bugs were not to bad.
    Fresh whitefish on the grill while staring at the big man lk it don't get much better and nice sunset behind foster.

IMG_4489.JPG
    IMG_4583.JPG

Mr B, Sprytle and zzcop302 like this.
  13. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Sounds like a good time Bill ! I can't wait to head north today. Will be breathing fresh air for a week straight :) staying on Jewel lake. Heard there's some mega bass and might get lucky to catch a walleye or 2.. We'll see, I'll enjoy myself sitting by the fire and having beer and seeing the northern sky , all that matter's

zzcop302 and gatorman841 like this.
  14. gatorman841

Sure is , don't get much better then summers up north! Have fun and good luck send me some pics if you get on any fish.

greense1, snortwheeze and zzcop302 like this.
  15. gatorman841

I'm heading back up in 2 wks , anyone been out fishing on the big lake recently?