Big M Fall Steelhead

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Steve, Oct 9, 2020.

1. on a call

on a call

Do not forget Jigging too

2. nichola8

nichola8

May have been my bad, Steve as a good moderator asked a simple question. I replied with a simple answer.

Trust me, I'm pissed about all the traffic these days, especially after getting pimped out on two duck openers at very remote locations.

Told my wife....it is what it is. I quit focusing on repeating past rally trips, and focus more now on enjoying the half way decent trips from time to time. Kids, career and limited time.....
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Glock1911 likes this.

3. nichola8

nichola8

Nail on the head.....not new to the snagging, flossing, eating game.

I should have thrown snagging in there as we "caught" a few in the back and tail, as that's unavoidable. My mentioning of the flossing came due to the fact that 1 of the kings had a bead in the mouth, not here to judge what that spent hen was doing.....just burned up a bunch of good drift time just so I didnt have to break off and retie.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Glock1911 likes this.
  4. Yes we did Steve on Saturday, sun-up till 11:00ish hooked only 1 landed none. Man we fished hard and Fished away from most it was a gorgeous day to be fall fishing regardless of none landed. Of course we made sure we did take home some smoking fish so the trip was not a total loss. Good Luck and enjoy this awesome time of year I know we are good, bad or ugly. Life is just too short.

jmaddog8807 likes this.
  5. rippin lip

rippin lip

I fished Saturday too. 5 hookups and none to the boat. All bright dime fish!!! While fighting one of the fish, had a boat motoring up and running over top of it. The boat then proceeded to anchor 50 yards up from me, what do you do besides shake your head? Decided to load the boat around 1 because the boat parade was getting rather busy! While I was trying to load the boat I had to educate around 10 salmon snaggers that high bridge launch was a boat launch first and a fishing platform second. Can’t wait for the Solitude of winter fishing the big man.

jeffm, Glock1911, Sparky23 and 5 others like this.
  6. Ojh

Ojh

I had one boat run into me! I was anchored, casting, with plenty of water all around me and here comes this couple in a jon boat driving straight into me. I could see the panic in the guys eyes as he just locked up, the girlfriend in front turned to say something and he just couldn't turn the tiller, he did slow down so the jolt wasn't as severe as it could have been. I figured he'll be getting a lifetime of abuse from the girl so I didn't say anything to them, just a look.

Sparky23 and fisheater like this.
  7. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

That is scary. Literally nothing you can do but watch. Any damage to your boat?

8. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

that can b scary,, i've been rammed a few times by scull's (row boats) twice by a 8 man crew + a blind coxie (the driver/steerer) lucky no one drown

9. Ojh

Ojh

Not really, scuffed the paint up. I actually felt sorry for the guy, she will never, ever, let him forget that, they went on down around the island below me (the island down below Bear Creek) and I could hear her over the motor.

10. brian0013

brian0013

Lmao we always have to tell people at tippy your going to get sprayed with the jet if ya don’t give us room

Glock1911 likes this.
  11. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

I helped an angler with an injury case. He was in a guide’s jet boat when it was struck by another angler. Bad finger injury. We prevailed after 1 year of litigation.

12. Fishndude

Fishndude

I was on the Big Man a few days last week. Got a Skipper, and a nice 11# male that gave me everything I look for in a Steelhead fight.

Soooooo many boats, and guides. Saturday morning we counted 17 rigs parked at Tippy. Tippy was full every day, as was Rainbow. There were a few spaces at Bear, and High Bridge, but a lot of rigs, too. And quite a few boats are parked at Matsons. Stealthcraft power drifters, with 40 hs Merc jets must have been on sale at some point, because they were probably half of the boats we saw. Nice rigs.

Not a lot of Steelhead were being caught. Lots of wind with gusts to 30+ mph a couple days. Lots of leaves coming down. Kings are getting toward the end of their spawn. Water is cooling off. It snowed hard, briefly, Friday morning. Nights were frosty. The first push of Steelhead hit the river the first week of October, and there should be another one, soon. The rain this week should pull Steelhead into the river, and get the Kings through the end of the main part of their spawn. Cohos should be spawning real soon.

Also checked out a couple smaller rivers, nearby. The Little River is so low. SOOOO low. But there are Kings doing their thing, and a very few Steelhead around. Tons of Steelhead Parr, so if you use spawn, tie big bags. Bear had Kings spawning, as did Pine Creek. Lots of dead, and post-spawn Kings in the tribs.

TK81, Ypsimax, nighttime and 9 others like this.
  13. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

nice report

slowpaya likes this.
  14. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

walyking and TroutFishingBear like this.
  15. fishinfever

fishinfever

Great report Fishndude!
    Thanks for taking the time and allowing us to enjoy your outing, too.
    Good luck, FF

Steve likes this.