close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Baits for Small Water Trout?

Discussion in 'South East Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by addictivefishing12345, Oct 12, 2017.

1. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Has anyone tried throwing any big baits for trout. Something like big bass swimbaits for brown trout in a place like Paint Creek. From what I've read on this forum going about 7 years back and using Paint Creek as an example. There have been supposedly brown trout in Paint Creek caught by the DNR during surveys up to 29 inches. The biggest I heard caught fishing though was a 27-inch Brown trout caught mousing at night. I'm sure many would be skeptical of fish this size in a pressured creek but if any fish could grow that big and evade capture it would be some big brown trout. So how come no one throws any real big baits for these brown trout and that includes throughout Michigan. We have a world-class brown trout fishery and as much as everyone wants to fly fish with tiny nymph imitations it seems like a big brown trout would mostly feed on the small trout, chubs and other fish in the creeks more than these little insect larvae. I'm not hating on the guys that fly fish but wouldn't it seem like a big brown trout would eat fish more than anything else. The guys out in California began throwing trout imitating baits for the Florida strain largemouth bass that were being stocked. The bass ate the protein filled trout and since there a soft-rayed fish it made them easier for any predator fish to swallow them. To this day the biggest bass caught in the world continue to be caught on the trout imitating swimbaits with more consistency than anything else. So why hasn't anyone tried this for some of these smart brown trout? The places that get fishing pressure the trout are coming out at night and eating bigger prey than what most are throwing that's why the guys that mouse do so well for the bigger trout. So using Paint Creek as an example if you have 24 to 29-inch brown trout in there why isn't anyone throwing bigger baits. A brown trout between 24 to 29 inches could easily eat a 10 to 13 inch rainbow trout or another brown trout. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't live close to any trout streams but if it were me I would go out at night. The big brown trout have to understand that there going to be fewer people if almost none at night and they can feed on the small trout and whatever else they can fit in there mouth in peace. Instead of throwing traditional trout gear or even mice I would throw a 10 to 13 inch trout imitating swimbait or glide bait.

itchn2fish and jd4223 like this.
  2. jd4223

jd4223

I agree with your logic. If I were going to target large brown trout after dark,I would use a top water lure. My first choice would be a black jitter bug. Second choice would probably be a J-13 Rapala,possibly black/silver,or maybe perch,or maybe rainbow trout if I was fishing during low light conditions.

itchn2fish likes this.

3. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Definitely what I was thinking I just don't get how so many people can go and throw these small flies and spinners knowing the trout eat bigger baits and probably have seen a million spinners. Why hasn't anyone tried a big trout imitating swimbait. The baits are the size many people would throw for muskie but if they eat fish that big you would definitely be getting some trophy brown trout.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. Fishndude

Fishndude

Trout are not Bass. They don't favor the same habitat, and they don't feed the same way. That being said, Brown Trout eat a wide variety of things. They are very opportunistic feeders.

Trout get harvested regularly, so any Browns that get over 20" are relatively old fish. They are wary, and often feed mainly at night. And they tend to not just chase any old thing that rolls past them in a current. They mostly live in clean rivers, where there is high visibility. They will slam rapalas, and mouse flies/lures can be deadly in pitch dark.

Fly fishing allows anglers to be challenged in getting a fish to bite on a fly, and also offers an amazingly wide range of ways to offer a fly to a fish. Dry flies, nymphs, streamers, chuck n duck, spey fishing, floating a fly vertically and drifting downstream (like a centerpin would do), and more.

Where do you live, that isn't close to any Trout streams? Most places in MI have Trout streams within 30 miles.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

I understand fully that trout and bass are not the same but they are both predators. I think people overlook the fact that although big trout will eat small insect larvae and many different small fly imitations, I think a lot of fishermen overlook the fact that the bigger trout probably feed more on fish. This would make catching a trophy trout on a fly a true challenge but chances are the big trout are eating more fish than anything else and are eating bigger baits than most people are willing to throw. That's what makes it such a challenge that's why the guys who mouse and throw streamers generally produce larger fish with more consistency. Not at all trying to disrespect fly fisherman but I do feel that these bigger rainbow trout imitating baits could catch some trophy trout. The closest trout stream near me is Kearsley creek with brown trout but its just under an hour away.

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. manOfaith

manOfaith

Throwing 3-4" streamers for trout is nothing new. I really don't think your missing catching larger trout by not throwing larger flies like you suggest. But that is my opinion, based on fish caught and seen landed on flies of the 3-4" size.

Flies much larger like you mention would be a challenge to cast with a trout sized fly rod.

Also, don't know how much or if you have fished paint creek but it is pretty small, lots of log jams and narrow in most spots. Throwing streamers in the dark out there would be quite a frustrating challenge.

7. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

I think your right with throwing bigger streamers won't produce anymore bigger trout than traditionally-sized streamers. If anything it will produce less not knocking fly fisherman but big streamers really don't look like anything in the water but a loose imitation of a fish or whatever you are trying to imitate. Glide baits and swimbaits or even jerk baits are more realistic but when it comes to imitating small insects or insect larvae, fly fishing is the best way to match the hatch. When a 3 to 4-inch streamer goes by its smaller and swims better and I think it looks more like bait fish than a bigger streamer trying to look like a bigger bait fish. Casting these big baits at night would be a challenge but I think it could produce some serious trophy browns.

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

Big Rapalas, and Big Streamers can both be killer for large Browns. Look up articulated streamers. I know people who throws streamers for outsized Browns on the PM with great success. It is a well known tactic, and you can find youtube videos of folks doing it.

9. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

This is what I'm talking about but even bigger 10 to 13 inch baits. If people started throwing even bigger baits like 10 inch Huddleston, Hinkle trout, dead twitch trout, or savage gear trout.

10. Fishndude

Fishndude

Give it a try. Share a report on your success. Maybe lobby the DNR for a "Zara Spook - only" section of river? ;)

Swampbuckster and mbirdsley like this.
  11. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Yeah, I would like to try this sometime soon don't know when with the lack of trout nearby but gonna make a future trip where I'll try this probably on Paint Creek knowing there are some big browns in there doing a good just avoiding being caught.

12. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

Go big or go home...

[​IMG]

The tape measure is rising so the image is a bit skewed. This articulated hybrid spinner measures 13 inches long.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  13. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

Have you actually ever caught anything on that?

slowpaya likes this.
  14. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

HJ6 & HJ8 Rapalas, I don't think the color usually matters that much but I usually use silver/blue or firetiger.

15. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

hahahaha......:gaga: