Best upland vest

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by goose schatt, Jan 8, 2021.

1. 2ESRGR8

2ESRGR8

20200918_183513896_iOS.jpg Pyke Wingman, made in Michigan, USA.

2. #8 shot

#8 shot

I just got the Pyke this year. I really like it, the way it carries the weight is awesome. Plus unlike my last Mothers vest you can cinch it up and still get in the game pouch. As for durability not sure yet as I have only used it one year, but no fraying, broken straps or snaps.

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Whatever you choose, make sure it has a lot of orange on it. My buddy has a very high quality Filson or Orvis vest but there is no orange on it and all he wears is a faded old orange hat. I really don't like grouse hunting with him because I can never see him.

homemadespud and tcmsu like this.
  4. LarryC

LarryC

I would take a hard look at Wingworks. I've had (and still have) vests from Filson, Orvis, etc. but haven't used them since I bought my Wingworks vest. This is my 4th year using it and it is awesome. Rugged, durable, comfortable, with a huge gamebag.

Only downside is that, being a small company, they are sometimes difficult to get, but worth the effort IMO.

5. GrouseHntr

GrouseHntr

I don't have the Pyke Vest....yet, but I do own a pair of the pants and a kiowa shirt. I have had two issues with the pants. Had the button pop out of the pants and had a seam come undone on the back. Both times I had the pants fixed and back to me within a week of sending them off for repairs. Pyke doesn't have a lifetime warranty, but I prefer to support small Michigan based companies over any others. The people I know who own the vest love it.

goose schatt likes this.
  6. goose schatt

goose schatt

I agree 100% about supporting local businesses. If the quality warrants the $299 id be all in.
    Just not sure if it’s worth double what the filson would cost without the warranty.

7. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

The more money you spend the more birds you kill...everybody knows that.

8. michiganmaniac

michiganmaniac

Screenshot_20210112-204454_Chrome.jpg

Now for something helpful. I saw this Ad on upland journal.

Fwiw pyke is a supporter of rgs and other conservation organizations. I dont own any of their gear just because "high end" stuff isnt really my style but from anyone i have talked to who owns it they love it. Plus they arent big/corporate like orvis or filson.

9. GrouseHntr

GrouseHntr

Not to sway you one way or the other, but I know someone who sold their Filson vest the moment they got a Pyke vest. Honestly I would say for anyone who is making the decision to try and find someone who has the Pyke and try it on. I will get one because of how it carries weight. I am tired of strap vests that sag the moment there is a couple birds or a full water bottle in it. The Pyke sits comfortably and doesn't feel like all the weight is on the shoulders and doesn't sag at all. That said it is expensive which is the reason I don't have one yet. It's a tough decision to spend that much and buy something when I have been making my cheap Browning strap vest work for years.

10. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

Or you could go to their open house and try on all their products.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 30, 2021 AT 11 AM EST – 3 PM EST
    Pyke Open House

Free · 976 Judson Road, Spring Lake, Michigan 49456

https://www.facebook.com/events/2399789746821161/

GrouseHntr likes this.
  11. BIGSP

BIGSP

Running a sale right now Pyke15 to save 15%. Go through Friday. There will be discounts available at the open house as well if you want to wait and try stuff on.

goose schatt and GrouseHntr like this.
  12. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Not to hijack this thread. But has anyone tried the Pyke tongass hybrid pants? How do they hold up in briars and raspberries?

sportsman98 likes this.
  13. goose schatt

goose schatt

wether on amazon, Filsons website or lion country supply...seems to be hard to get your hands on a filson....I’m about to just give the pyke a go....

14. goose schatt

goose schatt

thanks for the heads up $254.15 with discount....now I need to bloody this thing up so I don’t feel like a yuppie

15. BillBuster

BillBuster

Yes this!