Best time off this Fall

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Maple_Ridge, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

Gotta submit some time off to hunt, and I'm not retired yet so I don't get 7 Saturdays in a week:)

Based on limited days, from October 20th to 12th...

Any days make sense based on the Moon phase calendar?

I know this is debated every year, and any time is the best time to hunt. But if you had 7 limited days (not weekends) when would you hunt?

polish.polka.prince likes this.
  2. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

I’m off October 30th threw November 3rd and then November 6th threw the 16th. I understand it’s more then 7 days but I’m excited about it:) !
    Flight

3. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

I took the first week of November off. What I usually do is just use a day or two to extend every weekend from the exact dates you listed pretty much. I think you get more bang for your buck that way but it's just not as much fun as taking the whole week off.

Edit: It helps to have boss' that let ya leave to go hunting if the weather is looking good. I'm lucky enough that I don't need all time off planned a month in advance.

4. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

This is the first time I have ever taken a whole week off, you roll the dice with the weather. Could be 75° everyday or rain nonstop and 30 mph winds, if your a moon phase guy looks like it’s full on the 31st of October......at least I think. Either way I won’t be working and in the woods !
    Flight

5. bucknasty11208

bucknasty11208

According to the research by Charles Alshimer of Deer & Deer Hunting fame, the decreasing light from the 2nd full moon after the autumn equinox is what triggers the does to go into estrous. That second full moon this year is on October 31st. "If" there is any validity to that theory, it would stand to reason that November 4th-11th should be real good. Of course thats pretty much the peak of all the pre-rut activities (seeking/chasing) so it should be good regardless. The new moon (dark moon phase) is November 14th. Ive always heard that the less moonlight, the more deer movement occurs at the normal morning/evening times. But again, with the rut being the rut, the bucks will be looking for love morning, noon, and night.
    Im planning on being in the woods November 8-14. We'll see......

6. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

That would be a tough choice, but if I could absolutely only hunt 7 days in that stretch i think I would pick the 3rd thru the 10th or the 4th thru the 11th regardless of the phase of the moon. I know a lot of hunters live and die by moon phase theories. While there may be some merit to that, I am not one of them....but i have had some great hunting during that stretch of November - and a few days either side of it as well.

7. old graybeard

old graybeard

"If" I had a job and couldn't hunt the last week of October through the first week of November I would get real sick real fast.

8. Waif

Waif

Generalizing buck hunting , like going in near blind and hoping simply for traffic , around the first week of Nov..

In a seeking area where multiple doe groups are being checked and not receptive yet , Halloween area/timeframe wouldn't bother me.

If a buck is located and spending most his daylight hours in a limited area still in late Sept.... Get on him the first week of Oct. before he breaks out and gets traveling too much. They can already be getting antsy by then. But are still patterning fairly decent.

To throw darts, last week of Oct.-first week Nov. area.

MichiFishy and Wild Thing like this.
  9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Given a chance I would save my vacation days for every cold front in October and November. That’s hard to do if you have to put in ahead of time.

10. SPITFIRE

SPITFIRE

Oct 28th - Nov 7th

ruger 454 and November Sunrise like this.
  11. ReelWildFun

ReelWildFun

I've been playing this theory with another worked well last year for opportunities and according to my log and not hip on hunting the full moon I took Nov 6,7,8,9 off for rutcation .

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I couldn't care less about moon phase but if I were in your shoes I'd go with October 29th-November 8th, which would encompass 7 weekdays and 4 weekend days.

13. BucksandDucks

BucksandDucks

I'm off the November 4th through the 10th. If I had to pick 1 day of the year to hunt it would be November 7th

14. Nov 4 -11 is the middle of it, build out on either end from there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk