Best Starter Reel

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by SkunkCity, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

What do you think is the best reel for beginners? I don't want to spend any more than $300 to start. I will be using this reel on an 11' 3" Shimano Clarus.
    Thank you!

2. eggfly

eggfly

You cannot go wrong with a Matrix XL. I’ve had mine for 7 years and have experienced no issues. What ever reel you go with make sure to purchase a reel cover.

Treven likes this.

3. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I second the matrix xl. I suggest the solid back plate, and upgrading it to some boca bearings.... I saw the aftermath of a teen getting is finger somehow thru the backplate of a ported one while hooked up on a king.... not something I’d want to experience!

Could also look at used reels. Might be able to find a good deal, and nearly all sellers of centerpin reels are very straight shooters about condition.

Treven and eggfly like this.
  4. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

Thanks for the advice, guys. I used one of those when I went on a charter a few months ago and really liked the reel.

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

SkunkCity likes this.
  6. wyandot

wyandot

I agree with the above. I owned both the 43/4 and the 51/8 Raven Matrix special edition reels with the solid back plate. Lots and lots of them out there for a reason.

SkunkCity likes this.
  7. anticipation

anticipation

You might call Danny Colville he may have some reels in you budget,I’m very happy with his reels

SkunkCity likes this.
  8. Treven

Treven Banned

Raven Matrix Reels and the Rapala Classic Drifter are my preference low budget reels that perform excellent.

SkunkCity and eggfly like this.
  9. SkunkCity

SkunkCity

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the Raven Matrix.

What is the best way to learn to pin? Watching YouTube videos?

eggfly likes this.
  10. eggfly

eggfly

Start with short casts using about 5/8 ounce with a junk bobber. You want to feel the weight and see the bobber.

Slowly start increasing distance as your technique improves. As you continue to improve, decrease the amount of weight. Purchase cheap line to practice with. You will get more than 1 birds nest.

Learn one basic type of cast first. This helps to learn the timing of the reel. After you become more comfortable learn other casting techniques. I currently use 3-4 different techniques depending on the location I’m fishing. I purchased my reel in 2013 and I still have a few junk bobbers decorating my maple tree.

Rule one: Let the rod do the work for you.
    Rule two: Be patient, birds nests are unavoidable when you first start.
    Rule three: Have fun.

SkunkCity and flyrodder46 like this.
  11. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

eggfly gave you some very good advice. The casts that I use the most (in order) are the BC, Modified Wallis, and the Wallis. The best info I got when I started was to find a cast that you are comfortable doing, and then practice, practice, and then practice some more.
    The BC cast works the best with heavier weight setups, so do not plan to use it in "frog water" fishing. Using light weights will still work just not a lot of distance with them. I fish mostly larger rivers with a 8-9 gm or larger floats, so this works the best for me.
    You said earlier that you plan to use your setup for Salmon this fall, so more than likely you will be using 12-18 gm. floats and the BC cast will work great with that setup.
    Don't get frustrated, simply relax with the cast, and it will all come to gather at a point.
    I still practice in the yard for the Wallis Cast every year, and guess what, I am getting better at it, after 10 years I suppose i should be.

Remember Practice, Practice, Practice, and HAVE FUN.

SkunkCity and eggfly like this.
  12. Treven

Treven Banned

You can BC cast by bumping your spool when using lighter rigs. I've never warmed up to the Wallis cast. Too much going on. You can BC cast or my "modified BC cast" for nearly every situation except backed up to a wall/brush and have the need to launch a major distance cast (literally the only time I'll advocate a side cast). A Wallis cast won't help you any more than a BC cast in this type of situation, either...

The key to BC casting is understanding your timing (spool release, feathering, stopping) and how/when to effectively load your rod to propel your rig appropriately. Matching your rod's power and graphite speed to your rig is how you fine tune your casts the best. Your reel is important to an extent too, as the less feathering you have to do, the longer you can lay a sweet cast out there. Super light stat-up reels and heavy rigs do not mix for long range BC casting, just like heavier start-up reels BC cast light rigs like crap. Over-run and under-run are cast killers.

Go practice in your yard. Becoming proficient in BC casting before hitting the water will be far more fun than learning on the river when the fish are biting and all you're fighting are birdnests!

eggfly and SkunkCity like this.
  13. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I second or third what everyone has said! Try to avoid getting into a side cast habit out of the gate.... yes it’s the easiest, but it will give you nothing but twist problems the longer you use it.

For me personally, I struggle with bc unless using 15 gram rigs... what I use, no idea what it’s called, but it keeps the twist out: pull it and get the spool spinning like a Wallis cast, but then pull my hand off to the side like a side cast. The spinning spool keeps the twist out... casting from crossbody, side body, or overhead this works for me in about all situations and provides great distance when I need it, and more importantly accuracy.

Just find a cast that feels right and keep practicing as mentioned!

SkunkCity, Treven and eggfly like this.
  14. eggfly

eggfly

It amazes me how many ways a CP can be cast. In the last year I’ve started using a modified pull cast (can’t recall the name).

I keep about 14’ of line between the tip of my rod and the hook. I then place my index finger on the line between the first and second guide. I then gently pull down with my index finger while swinging the rod forward. This allows me to cast very lite offerings a longer distance.

SkunkCity and Treven like this.
  15. Treven

Treven Banned

Spinning side cast :D

nighttime likes this.