close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best rods.

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Alex Bialik, Nov 30, 2017.

1. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

second the 13 rods. great rods

2. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

How come no-one likes TUCR, those things are amazing

3. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I have about a dozen St. Croix's, surprisingly the reels are decent too.

4. y2ba

y2ba

I’m sure they are nice, not spending a 120$ on a rod that 1) I’ll inevitably break 2) i can’t look at before i buy it. I’ve spent a little time on their site...might pull the trigger on a Precision sooner or later

5. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

IMG_1513.JPG IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1222.JPG St croix premier 42" I believe. It's most suited for big yellow bellys, hog sunnies, keeper walleye. I like how sensitive it is and the fact it can flick a jigging rap with ease, throw on a spring bobber and finessse those gills, or rip those guster magnum size spoons. I use a tiny 20 deadbolt spinning reel. Imo smallest most well made spinning reel out there and I been using that brand for 20 years or longer. That rod was brought to its breaking point though in Canada when I hooked into those giant simcoe lake trout. I swear those fish are a different animal during the hard water season. For gills in shallow I swap the spinning for the fly reel style.

For gills and crappie 2 pound all day and imo burries the hook much quicker than a noodle with absolutely no effort. Once set I ease them up. Everything by feel no electronics here never have never will. Old school thru and thru.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  6. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Hard to beat a Ugly stick in any condition for any specie. Have used some custom rods for hard and soft water, even own a couple St. Croix and Fenwick rods, they sit in the basement collecting dust. Personal preference durability and reliability is key as to have never broke an ugly stick on a fish, with many other rods falling short of that expectation.

Aaronjeep2 and FugOwEe like this.
  7. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

upload_2017-12-7_14-34-46.jpeg Schooley, Schooley, Schooley!
    Actually I've made some of my favorite ice fishing rods from discarded soft water rod tips and a homemade handle, sometimes I also use an old schooley rod handle.

8. martini77

martini77