close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best rods.

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Alex Bialik, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Alex Bialik

Alex Bialik

Looking to see what everyones opinions are on for best BlueGill/Crappie, Perch, and walleye rod. Looking for cambos under $75. Ready Go!

2. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Boy is that a loaded question lol.

I would have to ask what is your style of fishing. Spring bobber, tight liner, long rodder, shanty or bucket fisherman, panfish or toothy critters?

I tight line so there for I prefer shorter noodle rods. Most of my setups are 20" UL paired with a schooley reel.

The best advice I could tell anyone panfishing is to not overlook schooley reels. If you are going to get a "inline" reel why not save a ton of money and buy the original. Best part is they are $5 or less.

I have more ice rods then I need or will ever use in one outing. All of my setups are $20 or less.

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I live my tuned up custom rods. Worth every penny

4. triplelunger

triplelunger

Cheap ones!
    I bet I have set records for how many ice rods I have broken!

mkarpov and y2ba like this.
  5. Alex Bialik

Alex Bialik

I jig for walleye, perch and bluegill. Im always in a shanty and I Only target one specie at a time.

6. Alex Bialik

Alex Bialik

I would love them if I could afford them!

7. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

8. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

You could always build your own. That's a very inexpensive way to go

9. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I'm a UL/noodle guy like I stated before, I target panfish thru the ice 95% of the time.

The reason I like noodle rods is the fact that we down size to micro jigs. Micro jig means an even smaller hook which in end result means skin hooking fish. I also run a lot of 2 lbs line. The noodle rod acts as a shock absorber. I still have a few stiffer rods, every since I've switched over to noodle rods my landing ratio has gone way up. This is something I've put to the test.

It's almost the same concept as steelhead fishing. The only difference is I prefer shorter rods versus running a mile long rod. The reason for that is I tight line and the closer to the hole the more effective it is.

10. y2ba

y2ba

I’ve started buying strictly Ice slammer Rods from SDI. I’ve got 6 total now, most have shimano sienna reels on them. About 40-45$ total. I have one custom rod and one St. Croix left...when i break them, I’ll replace them with Ice slammers.

Duck-Hunter likes this.
  11. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Sdi is a great place to check out building material for rods. Could also look at mudhole or jansnetcraft

12. waterfowl_warrior09

waterfowl_warrior09

I use Fenwick aetos, huge difference from the blues haha. A TUCR Precision has been on my list tho....

13. trapman

trapman

The best rod for bluegill fishing is a throne brothers sweet thing rod so sensitive no need for a spring bobber

14. plugger

plugger Premium Member

Until you get into custom rods the ice blues are as good a value as there is I use custom rods my wife makes and I still have chunk of money in them.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512093213.594474.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1512093262.022222.jpg

15. Huntahalic

Huntahalic

Absolutely love my 13 rods. I use the tickle stick for bluegill and perch most sensitive rods I've ever bought.

Sparky23 likes this.