Best river jigging rod and why

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by sniper's mojo, May 9, 2018.

1. sniper's mojo

sniper's mojo

I have always just used what I have in garage for general fishing which is a 6 foot 6 graphite medium heavy rod. Been thinking about buying one just for jigging. What do you guys like and why....short or long.....type of action or tip etc...thank you.

2. BMARKS

BMARKS

I just bought this shakespear wild series walleye rod. its 7 ft ml with a fairly fast and 1pc. i like it so far.

3. 454casull

454casull

Abu Garcia Veritas
    6'6"
    Medium Heavy
    Moderate Fast
    $99.99
    SKU:2443380
    Model Number
    VTSS66-6
    Line Weight
    8-14 lbs.
    Lure Weight
    1/4 - 3/4 oz.
    Pieces
    Handle Chart Reference
    A
    If only for jigging it does not get much better than this, light weight and you can feel the fish breath on the jig. I have the 7' version because I will use it for more than jigging. A good friend let me use his one trip and it was amazing and I have Falcon and Fenwick rods as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. mjh4

mjh4

6'6" fenwick walleye elite fast action spinning rod. Best jigging rod I've used excellent feel and works great with Berkley 8# nanofil rarely miss a strike even light biters are easy to feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

woodie slayer likes this.
  5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I'm a Loomis and croix guy. So all my jigging rods are 7' med to med/heavy. All of them have fast tips (that's pretty much all I buy). My fav would either be my legend elite or my glx. I've had both for quite some time. I do have a couple avid series casting rods in the same length and power that I take with me. I use them on occasion but mostly spinning rods. I get criticized all the time that I'm too stuck on expensive rods but unfortunately that's what I prefer to use. Is there a difference I'm sure there is somewhere in the way they make them but I just prefer the confidence I get from them (not the name but how light and used to them I am ) . Call me crazy

6. Walleye1975

Walleye1975

Fenwick walleye elite tech 5'9" best jigging rod u can buy.

woodie slayer likes this.
  7. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Depends on how much you want to spend. I prefer a rod in the 5'9" to 6'6" range. Medium power, fast or extra fast action. I've used a lot of rods. Cheapest I would go with personally is the Fenwick Eagle at $60, maybe the best bang for your buck. $100 price range you can't beat the Cabelas XML or Cabelas Prodigy Walleye. Next step up would be Fenwick Elite Tech and Fenwick Aetos at $150-200 although now that I've tried the Cabelas rods I wouldn't even think about spending the extra on the Fenwick. Hands down best rod I've used is the St. Croix Legend Elite at $380, I haven't used G Loomis though. If you have the money its worth every penny. I guess you could say I feel the mid range rods in the $150-300 range just aren't good enough to justify the extra money. Go all out or stick to the lower model Fenwick or Cabelas rods.

8. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Y
    Your not crazy, they are crazy sensitive. A few of the things I tell people about my Legend Elite, "I can feel a walleye fart on this rod", and "it won't make you a better fisherman, but you will catch more fish". I let my buddy use it the last day I hit Detroit this year and as soon as he hit bottom he said "holy **** you can feel a walleye fart on this rod".

9. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Way to many rods/reels compared to time lol. Toddlers, new house and wife sure do take alot of my time lol.

10. reelbusy2

reelbusy2

I'll second that.

11. scotts98rt

scotts98rt

G. Loomis imx. 7ft. Heavy action.noff said.