Best reasonably priced hand held gps

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Sasquatch Lives, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Can anyone recommend one? Been doing the bright eyes trail markers for years and think this might be an easier was to find my deep woods spots in the dark.

2. CABELKINS2000

CABELKINS2000

Garmin 64 ST

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

3. monkman

monkman

I like my Garmin Oregon 600. Has both WAAS and Glonass built in...gets me within about 10 feet of my treestand in the deep woods.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

welder72 likes this.
  4. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

64st. Like the buttons over the touch screen. Don’t have to take your gloves off to use it.

thill, vincke07 and jonnyb like this.
  5. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

You are smart phone with downloaded maps in areas that you don't have service! An unbelievable tool, better than any GPS and easier-to-use!

I downloaded on x during the bow season in the upper peninsula it was amazing marked my locations showed property boundaries between private and public lands!

jiggin is livin, thill and Blaze like this.
  6. fishx65

fishx65

This^^^. Most decent cellphones have standalone GPS these days and offer amazing screens and battery life. You can even find this feature on cheap cellphones. Ya just gotta carry a little power pack for extra juice instead of extra AA batteries.

mattawanhunter and FullQuiver like this.
  7. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Do you have to buy a chip or anything for it? If you want to go to a waypoint does it just show an arrow to follow? How much$? Easy to use? Man would it be nice just to follow it to my stands in the dark. I hunt a long ways in in some areas.

8. bd670

bd670

There are a few of the apps...I use Backcountry navigator mostly for hunting in the rockies. After years of using an E trex for navigation I rarely use it for anything other than a backup. Really like the phone app combination. I will caution that phones or at least mine doesn't seem to pick up as well in heavy cover or clouds as the GPS does but has always worked. I still use the GPS as a back up for safety reasons.

mattawanhunter and ongo like this.
  9. ongo

ongo

Go to Google Store and download for free "Backwoods Navigator". Works on most smart phones. Shows way points and your path of travel. Property lines and more if you upgrade for around $12. Can be used to mark weed beds or drop-offs in the summer to return to ice fishing

Esquire likes this.
  10. thill

thill

The garmin 64 st is great but my cell phone with onxhunt app has completely replaced my handheld GPS. I still pack it once in a while but have never needed it.

11. bowhunter1313

bowhunter1313

ONX.... shows property boundaries and owners. Especially if u hunt out of state. Used in Montana on solo diy mule deer hunt. Killed 4x4 on 4th day. Onx not only showed me where i was..where i needed to go and how to get back.....gives satelite detail to identify cover, food etc.....and identified blm land which is private ground open to hunt...invaluable tool for all outdoorsmen

mattawanhunter likes this.
  12. michigandrake

michigandrake

I use my Garmin Etrex 20 as my primary navigation aid. I like being able to do everything I need to with my gloves on, while on the move. Not as good of signal as my buddies 64st but easier to use. My phone is not reliable enough to use as my primary device .... not sure why as others have good luck with them. I have my compass out anytime I fire up any electronic device .... it always works.

13. Matt79

Matt79

I agree with the 64 st...we used one in Wyoming this year. Worked great and pretty simple.