close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best power auger

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by vellul, Jan 8, 2018.

1. d_rek

d_rek

It's the same on any pull cord starting engine. If you yank the cord before it starts to wind you're just stressing the cord. Pull it until it's taught and then give it a yank. Advice for life lol...

2slick and michael marrs like this.
  2. RiverRanger

RiverRanger

I have a newer Jiffy about three or four years old, 2 cycle and its been serviced twice because the thing will not start and when it does it wont run, its junk i wish i would have never sold my older Eskimo.

jathward likes this.

3. Falk

Falk

I used to have a Jiffy. It was okay. Failed me a couple of times. Four years ago I purchased an Ion. Some of the best money I have ever spent. I have drilled through 24 to 30 inches of ice. And it starts up every time I take it out onto the ice.

4. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

I have a jiffy propane 10” and my two buds have that Eskimo and I crush them. Maaaaabe cause I have sharper blades?..

By the way we fished last Friday during the sub zero shiz with bottle intacted standing vertical in the wind as well as many other very cold days > never had any problems with the propane. Personally I’ll never mess with gasoline Powered augers ever again - Old school can stay just that when it comes to augers.

kingfisher 11 and 2slick like this.
  5. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Went with a propane auger a couple years ago and will never use gas again. I never owned a gas auger but have been fishing with guys who do. They work, propane is just so much cleaner and easier.

6. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

I have a basically new Z71 I would part with for a reasonable price. Works amazing it’s just simply to big for me.

It’s honestly seriously over powered and the majority of the fishing I do is on foot.

As for a review it starts easy and eats ice as fast as you want to go.

Cons it’s big and heavy. But if you’re pulling behind a machine who cares.

7. leadbelly

leadbelly

I have a strike master Magnum 3. It only has the 8.5 blade it it has to be one of the heaviest augers out there. Makes me hate the thing.

8. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Milwaukee m18 fuel paired with a Nils or Lazer auger. All you gotta do is remove the blade cover, pull the trigger. No primer, no choke, no pull cord.

Sold my gas auger 3 years ago and haven't looked back.

9. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Electric drill augers don't use any fuel and never need a tune-up. They're less than half the weight & bulk, on top of being less expensive. And lets not forget that they blow through the ice faster than any gas auger on the market. Not that tough to understand. :lol:

10. zoombaiter25

zoombaiter25

Not disagreeing they don't need fuel or tuneups. They're lighter too, I agree! I don't see the difference between cutting a hole in 2,3,4 or 5 seconds as long as I don't have to do it by hand. I probably payed just as much as a good drill and 6" auger would cost. If you need to replace one of those batteries, it isn't the cheapest. Pros and cons for all types, not one reigns supreme in my opinion. Also, if you're talking electric drills, I'd imagine those 8" holes cut down on the amount of holes you can drill and they probably don't make a 10" for those guys that like big holes :16suspect

William H Bonney likes this.
  11. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

I like big holes, but that's usually after I finish a case of beer.

While true, you aren't gonna be whacking any/many 10" holes with the drill, the speed, weight, quietness, maintenance and cost, far out-weight any advantages of a big hole.

Here's what I have invested in my set up, since 1999. (results may vary)
    Drill $200 (already had it for home use)
    Auger $50 (had this already too)
    Adapter $20
    Batteries $100 (found a deal on two 4 ampers last year)

So realistically, I have $120 bucks invested in this set up in nearly 20 years.

zoombaiter25 and J D like this.
  12. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

I was skeptical of the whole "electric drill" thing myself. I ended up with an 18v Rigid Hammer Drill and a Nils. Best discussion I have made in quite a while....

PerchPatrol likes this.
  13. Zach Howell

Zach Howell

I've been impressed with my Eskimo so far this year. It's a bit heavy but when I throw it in the sled I don't notice much the weight added. Rips through 12 inches of ice like butter. I have the 10 inch bit so it punches a big hole too which is nice for sight fishing too. It does pump a lot of water out once it pokes through so waterproof boots are a must.

14. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

When it breaks through just tip the auger some To bind the bit against the ice. It will stop it from spinning so you don't get soaked

Zach Howell likes this.
  15. Papa Liver

Papa Liver

Had enough with my Jiffy 2 stroke. Between weighing about 70lbs and leaking gas everywhere, and not to mention getting out there and it not starting or stay running and have to spud through heart attack levels of ice. Bought a strikemaster 40v lithium. Came with 2 batteries. This thing is an absolute beast. Drilled about 40 holes on my pond in about 4 minutes last night (just got it delivered yesterday). Battery level was still full. And the reverse clears all the hole ice out with no scooping. And it only weighs 24lbs. I'm gonna hole hop like never before! It has some serious torque and headlights lol.