close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best power auger

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by vellul, Jan 8, 2018.

1. vellul

vellul

Want to throw it out there looking to get a new gas auger need reviews. I am leaning towards the Eskimo mako 43 cc but see they have a new model in 51 cc. I have been out too many times with an auger that doesn't start, well what do you think! Thank you for the response

2. SteelShot

SteelShot

I’d take a serious look at the electric augers or a propane model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timetofish and Dtb810 like this.

3. vellul

vellul

Really makes me nervous when you have to drill through 20 inches of ice

4. michael marrs

michael marrs

I have that eskimo, It has been very good, however, I have broken the start cord twice and you cannot fix it. You have to order this whole thing. I have looked at a few augers, and I think a lot of them are like that, but, I am 66 years old, and don't think I am Billy biceps enough to break the cord, and today , some paracords can pull a fat man out of the mud without breaking. So I do not want to order the part online, I want to talk to a person about their cords.

fishbuster likes this.
  5. vellul

vellul

I have read that same problem with the Eskimo z71 turned me off, how do you buy a 600 auger and the pull cord breaks that is ridiculous

6. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Eskimo z51 10" has been good to us. Bought it at franks 3 years ago when our jiffy broke on the bay. It always starts 1-3 pulls when cold. Eskimo has great customer service too if you ever have a problem.

7. unclecbass

unclecbass

Jiffy pro 4 propane, I love it

8. vellul

vellul

Jimbo that is the shark right?

9. vellul

vellul

Uncle bass how is the power with the propane?

10. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Yes. Was $370ish at franks. The thing rips. My uncle has a jiffy propane 8" and the Eskimo 10" blows it out of the water. It cuts faster and you don't have to mess with keeping the propane bottle warm

11. vellul

vellul

Ok ty for the response I'm am going to stick with good ole two cycle.

12. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Don't overlook a drill auger set up. We were going through 24"+ of ice on Erie a few years ago with no problem.

13. d_rek

d_rek

I have a strikemaster chipper lite that is a trooper and great for all types of ice. Zero issues starting and running it. I found it never used on craigslist for $300. I think they retail for $350-400 brand new.

14. michael marrs

michael marrs

I want to add, just spoke to Ardisam, ( the folks who make eskimo augers, and they are sending me a new recoil I do have to pay, but we are splitting shipping. The cust service guy was very nice ,and he suggested, ( I think I knew), that I should slowly pull the cord out until I feel compression, and then pull to start.. He told me his has been on his dtill for 10 years, with no problem, and I have broken 2 on 2 years, so ,although this is how I start all my pull start tools, I will try pay more attention , and it could be my fault

kwelch11, kingfisher 11 and jathward like this.
  15. zoombaiter25

zoombaiter25

I've had the Eskimo Stingray (33cc 8") auger for about 4 years now. Only issue I've had is leaking gas cap. Don't see the need to spend more than $300 on a new gas auger. It runs, starts easy, and cuts holes as fast as I need it to. I can understand people wanting the 10" hole and cut through ice quicker with bigger motors, but can't understand the need for electric and propane. Gas augers hardly use any fuel and have been a tried-and-true technology for decades. Plus they're easy to tear apart if you ever need a tune up. Just my .02

fishbuster and jathward like this.