close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best pike spear?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by Crayfish Trapper, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Crayfish Trapper

Crayfish Trapper Premium Member

I'm looking to buy a pike spear.

I'm hoping to find one cheap on clearance.

What do you guys recommend and where to buy one? :confused:

I've never speared pike before and would like to get into it.

2. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

Best pike spear and cheap cannot be used in the same sentence.

You can find plain, welded, metal spears for around $45-$50, you want best, get ready to shell out some dough.

3. Crayfish Trapper

Ok, that's understandable.

I'd be willing to spend the money on a good one.

So how much are the good ones and what kind? :confused:

4. Firefighter

Firefighter

Capt. hit it on the head.

No such thing as a good, cheap spear.

Spend some coin. Afterall, you'll have it the rest of your days and it will pass down.

Now to the spears!

I personally am not a huge fan of some of the single piece lazer or plasma cut spears. They have a lot of surface area and can be tempermental on the throw. What I mean by that is they can plane at depths below 6 feet or so if you don't throw (or push) them just right.

I like a spear I can whip any way and it flies straight regardless. You don't always have time to think about your grip or throw when a northern blasts in fast.

I also prefer an all-metal handle.

I have 3 spears. My first spear was a cheap one (around 70 bucks). It flys like poo. Weighs 5.65 lbs.

My second spear was an upgrade. I purchased a weighted 9" spear from Dave Pawlak. Great spear, although it's a little on the light side for my exact preferences (4.3 lbs). I still give this spear a 9.5 out of 10.

http://www.darkhousegearandtackle.com/products.php?Category_ID=6

My 3rd spear is a complete custom job to my exact specs. It differs from the Pawlak spear in that it's slightly heavier, 8" wide, and has round tines. I wanted a spear in the 4.75 to 5 lb range. My Higgins Evolution spear weighs exactly 4.75 lbs. Can't give a rating on it yet because I haven't drawn blood with it. I'm confident it will be in the 9.5 to 10 range though!

http://www.higginsmarinemetals.com/fish-spears.html

Both of my "high end" spears are in the neighborhood of 200 bucks.

You can spend more as well.

No experience, but here's a few more:

http://bigmaple.com/fabeck/index.html

http://doublediamondspears.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-MADE-S...770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a8fd5dea

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. Crayfish Trapper

Thanks! This is very helpful! :)

After looking at these I've decided I'm not going to buy one of those $50 cheapies I've seen at the tackle shop.
    I want something good.

Which spear did you get from Darkhouse? Is it one with "backer weights?" Are the weighted heads better?

Does the finish make any difference or is that just cosmetic?

What weight/width/etc. would you recommend for someone new to spearing? :confused:

6. Cpt.Chaos

Cpt.Chaos

As long as you're not spearing deep water, a cheapy will work fine. You're more or less dropping them down a few feet, I have fished early and late ice very shallow, almost stabbing the pike. The deepr the water you fish, the more critical having a good spear is, as far as balance and aerodynamics..(uh, aquadynamics?)

7. Firefighter

Firefighter

I've got the 9" with backer weights. Finish is cometic. I actually changed my mind on the hand finished spear, because they're harder to keep rust off them.

I coat all my spears in a clear spray lacquer, which helps inhibit rust while maintaining a metal look. Even with this, I still clean, dry, and oil my spears after every outing. I hate rust. Doesn't affect performance, just looks like crap.

8. trophy18

trophy18

Anything with really big barbs and bottom heavy.....wishing we had one tonight after a 30 incher broke my buddy off on 4 lb test

9. wintrrun

wintrrun Banned

You cannot go wrong with a Darkhouse G&T spear.
    I have just upgraded to the 12", 9 tined, backer weighted w/ wooden handle.
    It one of the finest quality spears i have had an opportunity to own.

10. Firefighter

Firefighter

You're drivin' a Cadillac now big money!;)

11. wintrrun

wintrrun Banned

Yep and if i tell ya i owe you dinner you won't have to remind me here in these forums.;)

12. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

You apairently havnt seen firefighters videos:lol: I think he dont like laser cut spears cuz he would cut them in half....:yikes:

this is what i use only mine is not a "take down". And i guess take-down is all he is making right now...

http://www.darkhousespearingsupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=79

So far i love it. I have speared fish @ about 10 FOW this year. One thing i recomend is a wooden "over handle". NOT a solid wood handle, but wood over the metal handle. But in the end it all comes down to personal choice.

Also chrome vandiumspears do not rust like higher carbon spears do... i do nothing to mine for rust

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  13. maddiedog

maddiedog

I have the one from fabeck @ big maple. It was pretty but didn't fly well for me. I cut the head off and put a wooden handle on it and she flies great. The barbs are a little big so it messes the fish up if they're fighting. I have another one that is a little wider with a wooden handle. I prefer wood since it flies pretty straight. Kind of like fetching on an arrow. My buddy has one of the eBay spears for$130 and it works well. Just do a search for ice fishing spear. I looked for years before I bought one and still needed to make it just right for me. My dad's got an old five tine that we stuck a ton of fish with in shallow water. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. Firefighter

Firefighter

If you don't mind, would you PM me the Fabeck price?

15. Mr. Botek

Mr. Botek

uploadfromtaptalk1328992491909.jpg
    This is mine. I bought it a long time ago from an older gentleman down the road. That's all I know about it, other than it flies as true as if Poseidon himself had thrown it!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012