close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Perch Rigs

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by skywatcher, Sep 13, 2017.

1. skywatcher

skywatcher

What do you consider to be your best perch rigs? I've used spreaders, crappie rigs, three hook drop shot rigs, and the tangle free rigs. I generally use a total of three hooks with one of the hooks being a snelled hook off the sinker, except when I use a spreader. My experience has been that the bottom two hooks get the most activity. Do you guys really think that three hooks are necessary, or is it just an opportunity for those striped bait stealers to get a free meal? Thanks for the input.

J Sibert likes this.
  2. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

I make my own using a single drop shot hook and then a snelled hook off the sinker. Also use double drop shot with a snelled hook but if the bit gets going I don't bait the top one. Is cool when you can pull in a triple!

David Mackinder and jstfish48162 like this.

3. wgorby

wgorby

Perch Pounders by White River Tackle. I swear by these and typically they out fish other rigs.

4. jstfish48162

jstfish48162

I don't care for the spreaders personally.
    I mostly use crappie rigs but seldom put a hook on the top location.
    I will put a snelled #2 gold hook on the bottom connection and then a second (same hook) on the swivel at the sinker.
    I have some 3-hook inline rigs that I made with different color beads and loose #2 gold hooks and crimps. My only complaint with this type of rig is when a hook gets in bad shape there's no way to change it out without compromising the entire rig.
    I have a couple of ideas for a remedy for this issue. I will try to get a couple made up and get some pics posted soon.

5. skywatcher

skywatcher

I agree, a triple is nice, but I sure hate wasting minnows on that third hook. The next time out, I'm going to stick with a two hook rig. Hope I'll get a few doubles.

6. skywatcher

skywatcher

Thanks for the input, I'll check those rigs out.

7. skywatcher

skywatcher

I could see using a very small snap that you could change the hook out. I've made my own two hook tangle free rigs using extremely small snaps. The store bought ones have the hook crimped in and you run into the same problem. What I did was crimp a very small snap in, and then when the hook goes bad, just replace it.

jstfish48162 likes this.
  8. DoubleJay

DoubleJay

Slip bobber rig; set it up so that the sinkers are 6-8" above your hook and set the bobber stopper so the baited hook is just off the bottom (some days as much as a foot or so). Set this rod in a rod holder and forget about it; glance over at the bobber once in a while, and when it is GONE, pick up the rod and reel in the fish. This is a great way to set up a rod that you want to leave in a holder while you hold your main setup with multiple hooks. Some days the single hooked slip bobber rig will produce many nice fish. Good luck, Jay

jumbojake, chemo13 and BFG like this.
  9. rlbyfd

rlbyfd

Perch pounder ll from white river tackle. Best rig available

10. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

What colors you like?

11. Revpilot

Revpilot

You can buy a sabiki rig for a 1.29 and make 2 of those . Just cut it into 2 pieces and tie a snap at each end . One will be a 3 hook and other a 2 hook . You can also get 6 hook models and make 3 as well . Been using them down east for years for perch.

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1505355718.292612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1505355731.886179.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  12. litg8r

litg8r

Don't forget the perch swords!

13. Scottr

Scottr

I'm on my last 2 perch pounders. Bought them up in pentwater. Does anyone know who sells them down at Erie?? I've called white river tackle and no one answers or calls back

14. zig

zig

Bear Paw connectors. Super easy to use, adjustable to your desired depth and rig design. No knots. Typically 2 hooks. Sometimes a minnow on one and a leach on the other. I swear the leach does not catch as many fish, but they are almost always noticeably bigger.

15. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    They have a nice website, order them.