Best Marbels knife...

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by sir mendalot, Jul 13, 2006.

1. sir mendalot

sir mendalot

...for fieldressing a deer?

Thanks and new to the forum.

Jerry

2. Nimrod1

Nimrod1

Welcome Jerry. I would suggest you check out the knives from Rapid River Knifeworks. They are in the UP, most of the guys worked for Marble's back when they made knives, not they bring them in from China. I have a couple of RRK knives, and am very happy with them. Check out thier web store at http://www.rapidriverknifeworks.com/

3. 44mag

44mag

I bought an old marbles ideal 5" off of ebay. I got a good deal on it and it holds an edge like a razor. It is be a collectible and I take care of it, but it seems unfair to keep it out of the woods where it belongs. I usually carry two knives though one small sharp folder for intricate cuts and the marbles for the rest.

4. Rustyaxecamp

Rustyaxecamp

Stopped in and visited with Kris at RRK this past weekend. My buddy is doing some concrete work for him and had to get him a price, so we looked around while he figured that out.

Lots of great knives there and always something new coming out.

Good People, Good Knives.

5. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

products. I dont care for the Chinese stuff, much like the NEW Schrade products [from China]. The folding Marbles knives are made by Rough Rider [Chinese] at a 3rd of the cost. Just make sure you look at the packaging before purchase to insure you have the US made products.
    Case gets my money for the folding knives.....NONE better.

6. fulldraw

fulldraw

What are the blades made in China and the handles made in Michigan or are the whole thing made in china and Marble just puts there name on it. I bought a Marble for my wife about 5 yrs. ago from a knife show. When did mable stop making there own blades.

7. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

It started with the folding knives. Now some of the fixed blades are made there I am told. The Chinese stuff usually comes in an orange color box, whereas the US fixed blades were in Marbles boxes with wildlife on the front and of better grade packaging. Best bet is to inquire with the seller. When those Chinese folders came out I saw dealers TRYING to sell them at 50.00 ea............oh boy! talk about gouging.

8. The best Marbles Knife is made by Wolverine Knife (Rapid River) www.wolverineknifeworks.com as they are made on location or find a used one that is several years old. I wasn't aware that made any in the US anymore, but if that's the case take a look and compare to Wolverine, they're right down the road. As nimrod says they used to work at Marbles and make a great product. I have purchased 6 or 7 from them and they are very high quality. Plus I think they either do advertise or did advertise on this site.

9. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

US made. Still like their patterns best. As with any company, its about profits.....but most at the gun shows want "cheap" so they got what they asked for and now they dont like the new Chinese stuff.....They want the Made in US stuff at Chinese prices....just doesnt work that way, if you want quality knives one must pay for them. Waiting on my Damascus Case folder and Case Stag Trapper to arrive. Quality is worth the money.

10. uptracker

uptracker

Yup, skip Marbles and go for a Rapid River! I've got two that haven't let me down.....unlike a few Gerber's and Marble's.

11. fulldraw

fulldraw

Not that I don't believe you guys, but I wanted to hear from the source. So I email Marble to ask them about there knives and were they are made. Here is there response:

Our "Classic Series" fixed blade hunting knives are all made In Gladstone, Michigan USA and clearly marked. Our pocket knives are made to exacting standards of high quality material in China and are identified on the blade.

For what it is worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  12. Our "Classic Series" fixed blade hunting knives are all made In Gladstone, Michigan USA and clearly marked. Our pocket knives are made to exacting standards of high quality material in China and are identified on the blade.

Well if that's the case and you have your heart set on owning a Marbles Knife look at the Sport model. I have one similar that I bought at Marbles a number of years ago and it was made very well. I don't know if they are the same today(but I don't see why not). I tend to lean towards drop point blades, but you may have another preference.

13. Huntsman27

Huntsman27 Guest

Like I said the Ideal and Woodcraft are US made and a couple I collect. Look at the folding knives made in China, they are the same ones made by Rough Rider.....better yet come to the gun show and I can show you sometime. Identical knives, different boxes and one says Marbles on it lol.

14. chrisu

chrisu

For what it's worth, I have an old Marble's pin compass. It was my Grandpa's when he hunted. Still holds true. If they are made in the US, then you should get many years of use and enjoyment.

15. One Eye

One Eye

I really like the Leather handled Plainsman. It is a classic design that is reaaly sweet. That is the model I gave out this year (laser engraved) for the Michigan Bowhunter members who earned their Master Bowhunter award.

Dan