Best in-line planer board rod?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Fishman621, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Fishman621

Fishman621 Banned

What do you guys feel is the best in-line planer board rod? Looking to buy at least 6 of the same. For reels I will be using diawa 27lc. Thanks

2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Ugly Stick.

3. JJ Mac

JJ Mac

+1 on the ugly sticks. I run Diawa Heartlands as well. When it comes to trolling rods, durability is important along with action...sensitivity doesn't really matter.

In addition to those, I usually like to have some more sensitive, lighter, sometimes graphite rods for the inside lines when trolling rod in hand on occasion, with a lower profile reel and flippin' switch. This setup works great for bottom bouncers for example when running rod in hand.

Running braided lines for walleye, the Ugly stick in med action provides a nice shock absorber effect to counterbalance the no stretch line=less lost fish.

Some like to taper their rod lengths (longer for outside boards and front of the rod holders, shorter for inside boards and back of the rod holders. Advantages: It helps keep the rods from banging together on turns and gives you little more leverage when bringing in a fish from the outside boards and pulling them over the inside boards. Disadvantages: You gotta remember to keep the rods in that position in the spread.

Then again some others prefer to have them all the same length. Advantages: Consistency and rods can go anywhere in the spread.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

...Ugh...:dizzy:... BLASPHEMY !!!!!!
    Daiwa Heartland!

5. swaprat

swaprat

i admit ulgy stick is good but what about these cabelas depth mater trolling rods.

Truthfully you are better off with cabela’s trolling rods then anything expensive. For one they are all the same action except the heart land rods I think not sure. This is because they change spec so much. By the way my brother runs nothing but cabela’s cause there cheap and good. You break one take it back they will fix it for you it is in their warranty.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  6. UBDSLO1

UBDSLO1

I like the Ugly Stiks as well, but, being on a budget, I opted for the Gander Mountain line of planer board rods. I now have 12 of them, all for planer boards. I do not run all 12 at once, some have braid and some mono, etc. Plus they didn't break the bank, $29.99.

7. swaprat

swaprat

Scratch that last post it used to be cabelas had an unconditional warranty but they changed it now it is one year on rods reels etc... Foot ware is still covered. Had to check to make sure they still had it here is how it is stated now It reads.

Our Guarantee to You The way we look at it, we have no business asking for your next order unless you are satisfied with your last order. To make sure we meet your expectations, we back your purchase with Cabela's Legendary Guarantee.

You can buy with confidence, knowing that if you are not satisfied within 90 days of a purchase, we will provide a refund or exchange the item. In addition, Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear, and against defects in workmanship. And, all other Cabela's brand merchandise is guaranteed for one full year.
    We've always believed the measure of our company is the way we treat our customers. So, with every order, we make this promise to you - the best quality, the best value, the best service. Guaranteed.

Dick Cabela

8. syonker

syonker

In the past BassPro sold Gold Cup/Daiwa SG combos for $120.

12 years ago I bought 6 of the 8' GC81020 rods matched with 6 Daiwa SG27LCs & they have served me without issue.

As the price point for the reels back then was $90 no matter where you bought the reel, the rods came out to $30 a copy which is deal for a rod that has lasted 12 years.

Bass Pro still sells SGLC combos, but they are a tad higher priced that what they were in 1999.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. vanj85

vanj85

I use diawa accudepth lc47/ wilderness combo for price cant beat em but I only pull in-line w braid/ mono w/them so if your pullin wire im unsure of howd theyd hold up.

10. swaprat

swaprat

The rods i am interested in are the convector gl , the classic pro glt and the bule diamond rods. The reels i like are classic pro. I have a magda pro dang good reel good for river salmon. they are star drag, composite frame, line counter reel for less than 50 but i have not tried the others just interested in them. I will be suggesting these rods to my brother because of Cabela’s warranty. Any ways see link for products.

http://www.okumafishing.com/

11. mudbat2128

mudbat2128

I really like the Gander Mountains as well. I have the 2 piece

12. swaprat

swaprat

Yep there great rods But there customer service sucks flat out at the one by me at least. Have got the advantage series steel head spinning rods great rod for trout light steel use it all the time. Too bad they got s**tty customer service all the time. With that i would not want to buy the warranty they offer to extend the warranty on their rods.

13. SeaRay

SeaRay

Another vote for Ugly Stik here.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. UNREEL

UNREEL Banned

RP2
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

I have both Diawa Heartland and Firewolf and a couple from Gander mtn. All 8-8.5 ft. Used them for musky, walleye with inline boards and sturgeon. Good rods at a inexpensive price (Have 20 of them)