Best Hook Remover

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by eucman, Mar 31, 2019.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

Can you do it by yourself, all alone, one handed with a treble hook stuck in your arm?

BTW, I have had the string method used on me 3 times on a single trip on the Manistee while trout fishing. It works great as long as your buddy knows how to do it. ;)

msfcarp, Waif and Skinner 2 like this.
  2. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Wow 3 in one trip? Someone learning flycasting?

One handed can be done. Attach line to solid anchor in boat or tree. Use good hand to put pressure on hook. Then quickly move arm to tighten loop. Or use foot if hook direction allows. Can be done be creative. I had to remove a keel hooked streamer from left arm alone.

Fishbroker1 and Waif like this.

3. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

It was in the process of releasing three separate trophy trout. One of the first years of fishing with braided line and the fish were still really hot when landing in the net. I was trying to keep the fish in the water and they surged and ended up hooking me good.

My buddy kept laughing after the second and third time it happened. Kept telling me to, "Look at that Eagle" when he was pulling the hooks out of my hand. :lol:

Skinner 2 and Waif like this.
  4. Jann's Netcraft

Jann's Netcraft Sponsor

We carry a similar hook remover called the Shootout Fish Hook Remover. I have included the link below.
    https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/hook-sharpeners-removers/032054033512.aspx
    Good fishing!

eucman likes this.
  5. eucman

eucman

Jann's Netcraft likes this.
  6. 50incher

50incher

YES indeed !!!!….I bought 2 at a show, was an older man & a kid, he would stick a hook in a tennis ball and snap it right out, very small time booth....it is/was THEE best de-hooker I have ever seen....almost unbelievable how great they worked !!….

I wish I had bought 10, lol !!….I have been looking as well, only thing about them is they were not built super strong....but man did they work !!!!….please post if you find them !!!!….cheers....

7. eucman

eucman

I'm working on it. I did buy 10 and over the years gave some away. A lot of our guests never got the hang of it. I'm almost positive we tried The Shootout hook remover. I think there was an issue with it cutting the spelled hook off.
    They are inexpen s I've enough to try again.

50incher likes this.
  8. 50incher

50incher

I have tried a few different ones and have the one now that Netcraft carries from above post, nothing compares to that simple alum. one....I don't know what exactly made it so efficient and easy but they are amazing, again ! lol....

The "Shootout" works but that trigger guard can spin around on the shaft & mess things up, no where as good as the one being asked about, imo….cheers....

9. 50incher

50incher

Drake likes this.
  10. PQuinn

PQuinn

I’ll also add a vote for hemostat. I use them on the ice mostly but have been using them this year on the open water too.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

11. 50incher

50incher

DSCN0271.JPG

Gott mine yesterday !!!....I just can't say enough good about these, that's a rare thing, lol....they are the cat's meow....the white things were free and supposed to be able to pick up any bait with none of your scent being transferred, don't see those getting much use but it was a nice gesture....

Everyone who has ever used these with me can't believe how simple they work....thanks again Magnet....

eucman and Magnet like this.
  12. tincanary

tincanary

I use hemos. Cheap and plentiful. I still have the pair I got for $2 at Gibraltar Trade Center 20 some years back. It started out as roach clips, then I thought "this would be more useful for fishing!"

fisheater likes this.
  13. eucman

eucman

Did he find a new manufacturer or did he stock pile a bunch back in the day?

14. eucman

eucman

Got it thank you!!