Best handheld gps for fishing?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by walleyenut3214, Feb 4, 2018.

1. walleyenut3214

walleyenut3214

I just bought the 64 for 209.99 hope i will like itthanks for the input guys.

2. unclecrash

unclecrash

Is this the bought version or the free app.

3. koditten

koditten

I bought the add free version. Amazing deal for $10 if memory serves me correct. You get access to many different map styles.

4. unclecrash

unclecrash

Is it hard to figure out how to use just want to set waypoints and stufffor ice fishing. I think I saw depth contours on your map correct, thats what im looking foe. Must be the bought version only has contour depth.

5. koditten

koditten

Yes, the paid version has the marine maps that the free version does not.

unclecrash likes this.
  6. unclecrash

unclecrash

7. koditten

koditten

Still way cheaper than a dedicated GPS.

Another benefit is you don't lose your stored waypoints and tracks as long as you back up your phone. Lose a GPS, those records are gone. Lose your phone, get a new phone and sync you're data from your cloud storage and all those waypoints are recovered in a few hours or less.

unclecrash likes this.
  8. Gillygump

Gillygump

Had my iPhone stop working due to the cold on Saginaw bay last week end. Had my lowrance hds 5 for a back up. Used it for the rest of the trip. Just didn't want to mount it on my quad. Bungee corded it to front rack. Just my 2 cents worth

9. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

I’ve had the 64 for a couple of years now ~ I like it!

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  10. brdhntr

brdhntr

Garmin has a PC app that allows you to save your waypoints to the pc for backup and manipulation. So does Humminbird.

11. koditten

koditten

If you are talking about mounted units, that is true.

Still kind of hard to transfer if you lose a hand held GPS.

If we talking about mounted units? , then I don't belong in this thread.

12. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

Do you even own a hand held? Don’t know what planet your on but a 2 yr old can transfer data daily or after a trip to store important info from a hand held as back up. Also you can mark way points or points of interest on a Garmin on hunting areas or water contours without physically being there. Thought the original topic was hand helds..... Funny how mounted units and cell phones always show up in these threads... A cell phone would be that last thing I’d choose for hunting or fishing period. For various reasons. I Have dash mounts that stay on my dash in my boat. When I’m on foot or on ice I use a hand held as it was designed for just that. Not rocket science here.... My cell phone & battery life along with it’s service can kiss my azz when it comes to reliability!

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  13. thill

thill

I have a 64st I use for hunting. It's a great unit and you can customize maps (including lake maps) and easily move data from your handheld to a computer. I used to rely on my cell phone with various apps for all my hunting applications but after running down the battery a time or two, then finally losing my phone while hunting, I will only rely on my Garmin.

14. brdhntr

brdhntr

At the most I'd lose the points that I'd marked on that one particular trip. As far as losing it, my handheld up until I bought my Alpha 100 last spring was an eMap I bought in the early 90's. Not really too worried about losing it.

15. shannon391

shannon391

Not everybody is on foot on the ice it's hard to hold a hand unit when you're driving a machine in a whiteout..

unclecrash likes this.