Best center pin rod and reel combo

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by trevor20228, Jan 22, 2018.

1. trevor20228

trevor20228

I am looking to buy a center pin combo for around 500 and am looking for some suggestions of what to get.

2. mrjimspeaks

mrjimspeaks

I know a lot of guys, including myself, who started with the Okuma aventa reel. The 13' 5' aventa rod is decent as well, it is a bit heavy though. They've held up well through salmon and steel. If you're looking to try centerpinning, that's the way I'd go. Once you know you like it, and you learn to cast etc. Then start looking into the Islanders, Milners, Colvilles, etc etc etc.

3. JungleGeorge

JungleGeorge

I have an okuma raw I could part with

4. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

Trevor, first let me say, Welcome to a wonderful board, and a great way of fishing.

Get on a few of the FB Center Pin/Float fishing pages, or find some of the internet sites such as CPT or FFN, there is a lot of stuff there for sale and some very good information available to the first time buyer/user.
    When looking to buy, think of how you fish, (boat, wade, small/large rivers, soft/heavy current) it will make a difference in the type of rod you want as well as the quality of the reel.
    At a $500 budget you are in the middle of both a decent rod and reel. As to what to look for in a rod, most Mi. waters can be fished very well with a 12-13' 6-10# rod although there are a lot of people that like a 4-8# rod better. I would look for a little faster rod tip, with a lot of good bottom end.
    The reel to me is important when it comes to quality, start-up, and best bang for the buck. For factory reels, the Raven Matrix/XL's are good reels and work well. I have a Rapala that I like and works great although it doesn't get used much anymore. There are a lot of the "custom" reels available, but most will push your budget up in to the $600+ range depending on model and condition.

D

5. flyrodder46

flyrodder46