Best break action and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by shell waster, Jul 8, 2018.

1. shell waster

shell waster

Looking to get an air gun but need expert advice. Getting overrun by an invasion of red squirrel and raccoons. Trapped a lot of the red squirrels in the pole barn, but the raccoons are becoming difficult. The coons are live trap savvy. Thinking of getting a 25 pellet gun break barrel. Recommendations?. I have looked local and nothing ....ordering from Cabelas is a no go too....can't send to MI? Thanks

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Pyramid Air online or Precision Airguns in Dryden if you want to shoot before you buy. MGO is another option for used.

3. shell waster

shell waster

Uhh what's MGO?

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Michigan Gun Owners Marketplace

5. shell waster

shell waster

6. imjon

imjon Banned

Call them before you decide to drive on over and check out the inventory. Nice folks. Be wary, the guns are impressive.
    http://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies.com/

Local Michigan Customers- We always look forward to having you stop by, but we would hate to miss you so We recommend calling first, to ensure knowledgeable staff is available to serve you.
    Welcome to Precision Airguns & Supplies LLC.
    Please Feel Free To Give Us a Call - We are hear to help you with your Airgun Needs
    248-969-0377

7. Janehal

Janehal

I have a Beeman R-8 on .177. Bought a .25 cal. from Precision Airguns. Great people,,,,,Great store. Range indoors and out to try them all. You will really like a .25..............you can really hear the pellet when it hits.....................

tincanary and imjon like this.
  8. Busterboy

Busterboy

I suggest that if you do buy the .25, buy plenty of extra pellets as well as the local Wally world or Meijer may not stock that caliber and if they should their selection will be very poor at best.

MichiFishy and tincanary like this.
  9. Janehal

Janehal

If you get a .25.........................you should give EXACT KING .25 Diabolo's a try. It is all I have ever shot in my .25 and they are GREAT. I order at Precision Airguns.

tincanary and Sprytle like this.
  10. Woodsman27

Woodsman27

This is all I shoot too.

11. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

Based on the fact that you just want something for pest control and didn't indicate a price range, note that Midway (online) has a decent selection of air rifles and often sells refurbished ones on the cheap. They also run some decent sales and offer a relatively nice selection of pellets (which they also occasionally clearance or put on sale).

I also was having trouble with red squirrels and wanted something other than a 20ga, so in April I picked up a pair of refurbished .177 Gamo Whispers for $39 each. I liked the Gamo so much that in June snatched a refurbished .22 Benjamin Nitro Prowler for $49. These are typically $125-200 entry-level guns, but after breaking in the Gamo (with about 250 lead pellets) I routinely get dime-sized groups and take tree rats at 50 yards and less (freehand nonetheless).

If you're inundated with squirrels and coons I would personally opt for a .22 over a .177 or a .25. Reasons: (1) a .22 will give you better killing power (than a .177) on a coon or opossum; (2) .22 ammo is a bit cheaper and in most cases easier to find than .25; and (3) the .25 is (in my opinion) a little too big for squirrels, to the point that you will likely leave a literal mess (blood and tissue) on the bird feeders if you use it on squirrels. Look up .25 air gunning for squirrels on YouTube and you'll see what I mean, but in essence using a .25 on tree rats to me is like using a .338 on whitetails - you can do it, but under most conditions it's usually going to leave you with a mess...

Disclaimer - I've handled some very nice air rifles at my local gun club - and the guns you find for $50 are definitely not in that class or even close to comparable with many of the guns mentioned above in previous replies. However, if cheap pest control is what you're after, an entry-level break-barrel gun delivers more than enough wallop to drop squirrels and most backyard pest at 25 yards all day long.

MichiFishy likes this.
  12. Perferator

Perferator

Being this is Michigan folk here, should we mention the need for securing an FFL to handle internet deals?

13. Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Not for airguns anymore. They are no longer considered firearms. I've had 4 shipped to my house.

Old Man and Perferator like this.
  14. Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Shell Waster you should have no problem getting an airgun shipped. Where are you located?