close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Boat

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Matt Bailey, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

I know this is a loaded question, but I am a first time fishing boat buyer, and am interested in opinions from guys on what is best thing to look at, I am only going to be fishing inland lakes and maybe occasionally a river, and am really looking for a boat to take me and my 7yrold and 11yr old out on a few nights a week or weekends...I looked at polar craft today and it seemed nice, have also looked at Tracker boat, but curious what I should be looking at.

2. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

16' minimum. Motor hp 40 minimum. Hull? So many adequate makers today. Buy and enjoy tym with your kids!!!! Shrubby

3. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

should I be looking deep V, Modified, or more like a bass tracker?

4. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

Id stick to a deep v. They don't draft so much water that you can't still drown worms in the shallows. You'll also appreciate it in inclement weather. Im assuming you're after a console steer but I'll tell you my next fishing boat will be tiller steer. Without the console you have a bunch more deck space. More deck space means more elbow room, which means less bickering between young 'uns. It also gives more room for a youngster who may not have mastered casting yet. The blur of a bobber whizzing past your nose will make an aircraft carrier seem too small.

Scout 2 and Matt Bailey like this.
  5. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

17-20' deep v with 75-150hp. Alot of good options out there, Cresliner, Lund, Starcraft, Polarcraft etc. Tracker seems to have a bad rep online, but as long as you maintain your stuff and don't beat on it they work just as well. I would stick with a deep v at the larger end of what you can afford in case you want to eventually fish the great lake or some bigger water.

6. shametamer

shametamer

What weight will your tow vehicle handle? Kids grow fast ,if they love fishing they will want all the boat you can handle. How a bout water sports? Skiing,wakeboarding,tubing..does your wife accompany you?..windshields,tops,comfortable seats are all considerations..until you have the answers to these questions,best i reserve an opinion

Craves likes this.
  7. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Watersports isn't really something that we would do, we camp every weekend so boat will be used in evenings during week and those off weekends that we don't camp, my Tow vehicle is a 2017 Ram 3/4 ton with 15k tow capacity, so that's not issue.

8. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I would recommend a mod v if you are looking to fish inland and rivers. They draft less water than a deep v. I would also recommend a welded hull, do not get a riveted hull. If you are in between two lengths go for the bigger one, you will kick yourself down the road. When it comes to horse power get whatever the boat can handle. Polar craft makes a great boat. I have owned two over the years. I have a tracker now and I can't complain especially the smoking deal I got on it. They are know to have a bad rep.

ESOX likes this.
  9. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

I have thought about a tracker 175Tw and also was considering a Polar Craft and Lund

10. Duck-Hunter

I would recommend a mod v if you are looking to fish inland and rivers. They draft less water than a deep v. I would also recommend a welded hull, do not get a riveted hull. If you are in between two lengths go for the bigger one, you will kick yourself down the road. When it comes to horse power get whatever the boat can handle. Polar craft makes a great boat. I have owned two over the years. I have a tracker now and I can't complain especially the smoking deal I got on it. They are know to have a bad rep. Lund would be at the top of the list.

What kind of river fishing do you plan on doing?

11. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Not really sure just wanted the option, I went fishing on Muskegon River last month and it was a lot of fun

12. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Well then.. You need a 621 Ranger lol...

hawgeye, hiljak102 and snortwheeze like this.
  13. Duck-Hunter

That's why I was asking, if you plan on running rivers especially the Muskegon. I'm onky familiar with it from Croton-newaygo and I wouldn't run that unless you have a jet drive.

14. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I'd recommend a used aluminum boat in the 16' - 19' range with a deep V. I think there are deals to be had. Pay close attention to the outboard and do your homework on the best models and best years they were manufactured.

My boat was used, the outboard was a 2003 Evinrude, and I was allowed to take it to a shop to be checked out. They plugged it in and ran a diagnostic. It was incredible data, it told the highest rpm ever reached, verified hours, and sealed the deal. 10 years later that motor is still going strong, and I paid 1/3 the retail price.

15. shametamer

shametamer

the boys are gonna grow.having enough boat is important..nuttin less than 17 foot 6 inches....most of us started with aluminum, a great many of us end up with glass...we all started with tillers(fisherman) and most of us now have a console....my first choice would be a skeeter 1825mx..probably the most stable platform i have ever fished from..if i wanted a tiller i would look at tuffy or yarcraft..if i was going aluminum the polarkraft is an excellent choice...starcraft makes a nice 17 footer with 20 inch transom,the starfish. Lowe makes a good boat as does g2 and lund...the latter two being the more expensive..if you prefer tiller type..hard to go wrong with lund....polarkraft and starcraft are built in Indiana.about 50 miles south of our border..you could tour the factories..seehow they are built..Most important research the dealer you intend to do business with..driving a few extra miles for a quality dealer saves a ton of headaches down the road....