Best Backup Centerpin Reel Option?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by AddictedMichigan, Apr 8, 2020.

1. AddictedMichigan

AddictedMichigan

Looking to get an Islander, but also looking to get a great medium priced centerpin as a backup reel. Any good suggestions? I was looking for something in the 200-300 dollar range such as Okumas, Rapalas, Raven etc. Anyone have any specific centerpin reels in that price range that they would highly recommend?

2. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Really - any of em spin. If it’s just the mentality of a backup that you may need should you damage yours or lose a part or whatever, just go cheap with an okuma aventa reel.

I keep a backup in the truck all the time, over the past 6 years I have used my backup reel exactly zero times for what it’s worth. If you have a reliable not low-end as your primary, I doubt you’ll need to touch a backup reel.

Just my two cents.

jd4223 and eggfly like this.

3. anticipation

anticipation

I have what I consider a good reel and had my clicker stick on this year after landing a fish sucks cause I got about ten minutes of fishing in before it happened and left my 2 other set ups at home .always carry a back up now

4. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Interesting! I have not had that happen. I did have a kingpin where the clicker actually wouldn’t engage each time one day now that you mention it. Wasn’t anything that stopped me from fishing though, just had to click it a couple times to stop it from free spool, just a little annoying that day. Greased it that night and was good to go for the rest of the trip. Might I ask which reel got the clicker stuck in engaged?

5. anticipation

anticipation

It was a Colville fjord . Really was one of those days , made it to the river was getting my gear on and no boots . Drove home got boots drove back landed first fish after about ten minutes then my reel took a **** , drove back home got another setup and continued on

6. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Dang man - now that’s a painful day! But hey at least you weren’t skunked to add to that pain! My worst day was dropping my terminal box somewhere along the river 3 hours from home, and never able to find it. Searched the truck and found a few hooks/swivels and shot to get me by for the day. Now I keep a whole backup stash in the truck just in case haha!

That’s odd about the colville. I have never personally owned one, but fished a couple and handled a dozen or so others. I have heard the prototypes had some clicker issues, but it is sounding and looking more and more like he’s really getting every aspect of his reels dialed in.

but definitely good to chime in with that experience to back up the idea of carrying a backup reel. I suppose I’ll still keep mine locked up in the truck too.

7. anticipation

anticipation

Definitely a good idea to keep one on hand .i sent the reel back it was fixed and back to me in less than a week can’t complain about that

8. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I’ve had clicker issues with my Ravens in the past, and I just keep a rubber band or hair tie handy to put around the reel seat and stretch it to the reel handle for a temporary fix. My Colville has been going strong for 4 years now with zero issues.

9. Chromedoggy

Chromedoggy Premium Member

Raven Matrix Xl or Kingpin Kinetic 500 fit the bill well

SkunkCity likes this.