Best all around boat

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by Big Skip, May 1, 2020.

1. msfcarp

msfcarp

Absolutely positively love my Terrova with Ipilot but if I had more boat than my 1648MV I would have an Ulterra for fishing(jigging) alone in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Big Skip likes this.
  2. Cheeseman

Cheeseman

I had a Terrova and loved it, but it suffered a fatal issue when it went to the bottom on Lake Erie one night! I replaced it with an Ulterra that I absolutely love. Awesome to just push a button to deploy/recover when it rough water conditions!

Bruce William and TheCrawdad like this.

3. TheCrawdad

TheCrawdad Premium Member

Or when it's cold, or warm, or I have a beer in my hand, or I'm feeling lazy, or any other reason you can think of. :) Love mine!

4. Team Goby

Team Goby

I have a 2010 1750 Lund Fisherman for sale, New Terrova 80lb, four new batteries, and a Yamaha 150hp motor. Full windshield and canopy, many more extras. Handles the water very well. If interested

5. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

If you’re going to drop upwards of 35-40k on a boat I’d pick out 4-5 boats that fit your needs/wants and go to each dealer and take test rides and really tear each one apart. Then go from there. That seems like the most logical approach to me. Nothing wrong with asking for advice on here but everyone is pre-disposed to telling you why their boat is the boat you want. Some of it is good info. But Some of what I read is laughable too. Example. There isn’t a tin boat in the 17-18’ category that handles 4-6 foot wave with ease. I read those claims several times. I personally own a 22’ islander and can tell you 4’ waves are no fun in it. Good luck with your search. I’ve been wanting to buy something new for several years. Just hard to pull the trigger on a new payment when mine is paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. andyotto

andyotto

Agree but I’ve never been in any fishing boat that handles 4-6 ft waves very well.

7. piketroller

piketroller

There are some smaller closed bow boats with high splashwell dividers than can be safe in 4-6 foot waves, but definitely not comfortable. I think many people use the same part of their brain to estimate wave size that they also use to turn a 15” bass in a 3-4 pounder just because they are holding it. Or fill in whatever fish exaggeration you want.

The funniest posts on hear are the ones for obvious trolling boats for the Bay when the OP was looking for a boat for inland lakes and the river, and later said he doesn’t do much trolling.

8. steve99

steve99

For 35-40k, unless you get a bare bones boat, it won’t be big enough to handle 4-6’ waves moving at any decent speed. Sure, you can buy a decent used 30’ cruiser for 30k but those boats just aren’t fun to tow, launch, retrieve, fill up with fuel, and tough to find an 800# bowmount ulterra With 200” shaft to keep you vertical jigging on windy days. A decent amount of freeboard will help you get back to the dock. I don’t think most people want to be out in 4-6 foot waves, it’s those days that the waves build when your out there and need to run back in.

9. matt76cmich1

matt76cmich1

One boat that has caught my eye is the Starcraft Delta 188. Hoping to see one in person before too long. Bay Outboard Marine said they have one on order.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. piketroller

piketroller

An interesting 18’ boat is the Smokecraft ProMag 182. I don’t think there’s another fishing boat on the market with more rod storage space. And it has a blower system to air out all the storage compartments. It has a ton of features, but they also want Lund $$$ for that boat too.

snortwheeze likes this.
  11. wallhanger81

wallhanger81

That's all I meant was it will handle those waves to get back in. My fault for not giving a example. As far as my brain not working. When you can't see over the next wave it's probably not a 2 footer. Just trying to help out as others have helped me. Sorry for the confusion.

andyotto likes this.
  12. steve99

steve99

I understood what you meant, definitely not fun in true 4-6’ waves

13. Jackson Winger

Jackson Winger

14. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

Lund 1875 pro guide. I just tell my guests to bring waterproof gear in case it gets rough. Love the tiller style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. waldowillie

waldowillie

Buy a TILLER style, and use an extension handle and you will be near the same position in the boat when alone as if you had bought a console and you will have way more room and a dry ride. Buy a boat with a WIDE beam for safety on the water; and finally buy a brand that allows you to purchase the boat with an EVINRUDE Etec on the stern. Never ever have had a major problem with this brand of motor.