Best 2 Man layout boat..

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by natureboy2534, Jun 1, 2016.

1. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

In the Market to buy a layout boat. I have a tender boat 17 foot mirrocraft with a 20 hp Mercury. Thinking that would be enough for a tender, the spots i will be hunting are close to shore just in case weather turns on us.

My crew has 2 guys that are in there 60's so easy in / easy out of boat is a big thing. Just want some input on the guys that use them alot. I like to take a charter to see how those guys run there operation and get some pointers. Have all the divers i need from when hunting out at gieger rd, so long lines im used to.

Most important thing is towing behind my boat . Hopefully ill have enough power when all loaded up.

Any help would be great and some tricks you guys have would be appreciated. .

Will be getting rid of some field hunting decoys and trailer , so watch the classified when they go it will be a deal..

Thanks for any of your imputs..

2. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

I would be concerned with only a 20HP. We tow with a 60HP on one boat and a 115 on the other. You may be ok if it's close enough and calm enough.

3. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Dont really want to buy another New motor, but i would rather be safe than sorry. And saginaw bay can turn on you real quick..Thanks man..

4. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Just be careful. The biggest problem is that it's often the "not so nice days" that produce the best shooting.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  5. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

What type /maker of layout do you guys use? What do you look for in when buying one?.

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

We hunt out of my friends two man Kalash, original, redone many times. I own a Might Layout Boys one man Kalash. MLB is out of business, those boats, and others, can be found here.

http://www.waterfowl-works.com/

7. John Singer

John Singer

I am curious as to why you want a 2- man layout boat.

You describe your tender boat as a 17' with 20 hp. I hunted for several years with a 3 man crew from a 15' or 17' boat and we found the 1-man layout boat to be ideal.

A 1-man layout boat is stealthier and much easier to transport and handle than a 2-man layout boat.

sswhitelightning likes this.
  8. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Would like to get 2 hunters done at once, and just to have the companionship of another hunter next to you. I think it would be a better experience with 2 at once. But your idea makes more sense. Like i said im new to layout, and thats why im asking from guys that do it. Plus i was thinking of the stayablity of the 2 man with the older guys i hunt with..

Thanks now im thinking even more.

9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

We often use the two man as a one man boat. Several of us are not, shall we say, small.

There is another thing to keep in mind. The capacity of your tender. I suggest that you always have two people in the tender at all times. I am your age and know that health problems are more likely as we get older. If a lone guy in the tender has a problem, he could leave the man(men) in the layout in trouble.

You could consider two tenders, four guys, for a two man rig, or, 3 for a 1 man rig. Do not overload the tender. That is always dangerous and twice as dangerous when towing a layout.

natureboy2534 likes this.
  10. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

Have you ever layout hunted?

11. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

That was my thoughts with all the long lines i have and 4 guys plus gear and pulling, weight adds up quickly. The 2 tender boats would work good and a nice idea. That way you could even out the weights in the 2 boats. I like the 2 man for room and with the eye sight diminishing as old age sets in would be nice to have another set of eyes for birds,and the stayablity of 2 man boat. For in and out..

12. natureboy2534

natureboy2534

Nope never..Hunted at gieger road alot back in the days. Watched them from a distance but never first hand. Im sure i will practice getting in and out of boat. Thats why i would like to take a charter some time to see how they run there operation.

13. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

There are valid arguments for either a one, or two, man boat. That is strictly a matter of choice. My one man is very stable, even when getting in or out.

We take out an "armada" when we layout hunt. Partly for safety, partly for comfort and partly because it looks really cool.

We have a 23', with full canvas, as the "mother boat". That is where we cook hot dogs, fish, cook fish, stay warm etc. We have a 18' tender, with a two man Kalash. My tender is a 21' and I have a one man Kalash.

I run seven lines. I used to run 6, like my buddy, but he went to seven, forcing me to go to seven. I did not want to be decoy impaired.

My tender:

KIMG0112.jpg

14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned