Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bellaire/Intermediate

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  zig 
#1 ·
With online learning and the ability to work remotely, I'm heading up north for two weeks this October. I'll mostly be bird hunting, but I am considering taking my boat as we'll be right by Lake Bellaire and Intermediate Lake. I'm considering taking it for a change of pace, and my son really likes fishing. I know there are quite a few threads on here about these lakes, and I'll go back through and do the best I can. I used to fish them both when I was VERY young, and remember limited success, but my dad was not much of a fisherman. But, I was wondering if anyone might have some input on this. Should I bother with the boat? Any tips for that time of year? Walleye would be great, perch as well, but so would Pike and smallmouth. PM's welcome. I'm not an expert lake fisherman by any means, so part of me thinks stick with what you know, bird hunting. However, some even marginally successful fishing sounds like it might be nice to throw in over the course of two weeks. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Very Jealous Two weeks in God's Country. My Grandfather took me fishing on Lake I. when I was a wee lad in 1955, it holds a special spot on my heart. He also was a grouse and duck hunter and had spaniels as well. I so much wanted to put together a Blast and Cast weekend. I have know Idea where your staying and which boat launch would best for you. For me the launch at the South end is close to where I want to be. from the launch head north then to the west 1/2 mile you come on to a very big 3 sided bar deep on all three sides It's a go to area for me. Head westerly toward Long Point its on most maps there is a launch there but it more for canoes and kayaks. A good 1/2 mile or more of a classic shore line bar, Small mouth and Musky's have been caught by me along that bar. Smallies in the In-between waters 15-25 the Musky deep in 40 fow dirctly off Long Point. As for Pike over the years only caught 2 hammer handles at the southern end.
I have not spent a lot of time fishing the North End But the Plan is to do that next trip To Lake I. I know that looking at the contour map there are many structures between mid lake and North end

https://www.bassresource.com/maps/fishing-spots-maps.html

This link is interactive you can expand it and you will find Lake I.
The 3 sided bar the mid lake sunken island are very prevalent on this contour map. Long Point is also noticeable as are the public boat launches.

Short Vide Of Lake I fishing 1st week in June 2020

I trust you have a safe and exciting visit to Northern Mich.

Hal

Reactions: zig
#3 ·
Zig if you decide to leave your boat at home, I'll treat you to a morning of Cisco fishing on the bay for a morning of chasing birds, I had to put my girl down last February 6th, miss her dearly, oh, I do catch ALOT of Cisco

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Some good info there and great post and video @gundogguy. It's not that I've been ignoring the replies, I just haven't been on here at all. I've been living kind of my own Covid nightmare the last 10 days, with multiple cases all around me, mostly at work. It's been awful. Luckily, I haven't gotten it, and I've tested twice. Right now I'm pretty much burning the candle at both ends trying to make it so I don't have to delay or shorten the trip due to everything at work. Plus I've been working on the boat making sure everything is in order and getting the dog stuff and hunting gear around, etc. Really pushing it to not have to cancel or significantly shorten it....:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.