Behr Deck Over

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by jonesy16, Jun 26, 2013.

1. kroppe

kroppe

I'm not a fan of anything but an oil-based product for decks. Foot and furniture traffic on a latex acrylic (translated: soft plastic) surface is not a long term solution in my view.

Look at what d_rek just did with TWP products. His project is excellent in my view. TWP is oil based, and the MSDS contains mineral spirits, naphtha and benzene. These are long lasting, high quality chemicals for exterior wood applications.

Latex products are sold to consumers as easier to apply, easier to clean up, and likely less expensive, and probably more available on the shelves at big box stores. These situations for me are a pay-for-performance kind of thing.

jimbo likes this.
  2. jimbo

jimbo

Your oil base theory makes sense. But d-reks deck is new. Mines about 25 yrs old. I’ve been doing something with it about every other year, starting with clear oil based sealer, then semi clear and finally a solid color.
    I took a belt sander to it last week and I need to get to the hardware now and get started
    The other deck needs a complete tear down next year. I did a tear off and redeck about 20/25 yrs ago. Now I think the stringers are pretty well shot.
    Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

kroppe likes this.

3. jimbo

jimbo

Done, beings I already have a solid latex stain on it, I didn't want to go with an oil base on top. So I just went with the same old stuff. I brushed this one in again. If we get another nice weekend, I may roll a second coat on just to fill in some cracks.

kroppe likes this.
  4. kroppe

kroppe

Yes, if you have used latex once it’s difficult or not possible to use oil products without a lot of effort to remove the latex coating.

jimbo likes this.
  5. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

Our house has an upper and lower deck. They needed re-stained. Power washed and scrubbed with a bleaching agent. I brushed on Behr top of the line latex solid stain. The following year is starting pealing off real bad. Come to find our the original deck had an oil base stain. Now I have a real mess. I'm going to power wash and bleach again and use an oil base stain this time around. Upper and lower are both 8x20 with spindle railing. I had about 40 hours into the first go around. Needless to say I'm not happy.:(

6. jimbo

jimbo

Justcatch. It’s my understanding that latex on top of an oil base should have worked, esp seeing you brushed it in instead of rolling it on..
    Like I said, I used the clear oil, then semi clear for years before putting on the solid latex stain.
    I may be wrong, but I’m not sure that was your problem

7. JUSTCATCHINUM

JUSTCATCHINUM

8. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

20200927_204915.jpg I looked at the Behr Deck Over and Rustoleum Deck Restore. I didn't want to go through all the work and have it peel in a few years. I decided to buy a composite deck overlay from Menards. Put it down 5 years ago and haven't touched it since. The boards are 1/2" thick and layed right over my old deck.

jimbo, kroppe and JUSTCATCHINUM like this.
  9. grapestomper

grapestomper

My mother in law put the Behr product on and it is terrible.
    We had to scrape and power wash to get off.
    Went with a solid stain and much better.

kroppe likes this.
  10. hawgeye

hawgeye

I used the behr 5 years ago, lasted 2 summer's, took 3 times as much because it's so thick and when it peels off its a mess. And I did the proper prep/acid wash prior to installing

Sent from my moto z3 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

time2kyl likes this.