Beginner Centerpin Setup?

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Brendan N, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Brendan N

Brendan N

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to steelhead fishing. I've caught my fair share of steelhead over the past few years and I know what to use for bait. Now I'm interested in centerpin fishing and I was wondering if you guys had suggestions for a teen on a budget?

I am also interested in doing more salmon fishing this fall if anyone had tips for that.

Thanks!!

2. Brendan N

Brendan N

More specifically, I'm looking for centerpin rod/reel suggestions. Thanks!

3. anticipation

anticipation

All depends on your budget. What are you looking to spend ?there are a few for sale in the classified section that would get you started

4. Brendan N

Brendan N

I can probably save up, at most, $300. I don't need anything urgently as I am fishing the spring steelhead run right now with spinning gear but I want to get into centerpin fishing over the summer or by the time fall salmon come around.

5. anticipation

anticipation

You could pick up an Okuma for around 200 and there are a few rods for around 1 hundred. You might look at float fishing central and river rats classified there are usually some good used stuff on there

6. Brendan N

Brendan N

Ok thankyou, I will check that out.

7. Superior Outfitter

Superior Outfitter

We sell combos at the shop if your interested. $260 for a raven helix or helix XL reel and a Shimano rod. Comes with line and backing also.

LushLife likes this.
  8. bowhunter_22

bowhunter_22

Hey man look into a shimano clarus rod they are 100 bucks and great. The raven helix, okuma raw, okuma Sheffield are all right around 200 dollar reels. The okuma aventa reel is about 150 just stay away from the aventa rod it is like a wet spaghetti noodle

9. Brendan N

Brendan N

10. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Just as a heads up - I have not personally handled a helix, but I do have one buddy who has handled a couple... first one he received had wobble, got ahold of them and they agreed to replace... the replacement also had wobble and he sent it back and moved on... looking at it myself, the handles are pretty far on the outside of the reel for my liking... it might block the fingers from being about to apply pressure to the spool easily....

but matrix have a pretty decent reputation and the aventa reels are pretty decent as well.

maybe some others with experience on the helix reels can offer more assuring reviews but that’s just what I know of them.

Brendan N likes this.
  11. Brendan N

Brendan N

Ok Thanks for the tip. I was looking into the Okuma Raw 2 anyway.

12. memhunt84

memhunt84

Ss day D6 away 99 ca z4

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. nighttime

nighttime

All the Okuma’s fish about the same so no need to buy there higher end stuff, which isn’t high end by any means. Replace bearings for 20-30$. My buddy found a nice used colville for 150$. Probably 1st or second generation reel but it’s in great shape and or more smoother than the Okuma’s I fished with for years. Search around many guys selling them

14. Brendan N

Brendan N

Ok that's a good idea. I've been looking on Float Fishing Central.