Before or after the Front

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by #1 Gun, Oct 7, 2019.

1. #1 Gun

#1 Gun

Just wondering what your experiences have been in the past. Do you have any theories or past hunts where you have had good/bad hunts before,during, or after a cold/warm front moves through. I myself always seem to be a day early or late. Thanks for your thoughts. Good luck this season!!

2. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

Easy.

If I have a day off and it’s Duck hunting season... I hunt!

3. U.P.WoodChuck

U.P.WoodChuck

Exactly! You dont know and wont get any, if you dont go. I try to take a week off in the first 2 weeks and then every weekend morning I can I go until the bitter end.

4. Bigeejakes

Bigeejakes

Yep, I agree with previous posts. I don't try and forecast ducks, if I have the opportunity, I'm hunting. I've had good days when I thought they would be horrible, and bad days in perfect conditions. Get out and enjoy life :). The ducks will decide when to show up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Spartan88 likes this.
  5. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

During in managed areas where boating is safe, after in open water spots.

6. The Doob

The Doob

Been doing this for 45 years and I don't have a definitive answer one way or the other.
    Used to say that the last October was a prime flight time on Saginaw Bay but the last number of years, the first week of the season has been great.
    Last year, the four days before deer season were fantastic and on the 14th we watched strings of birds migrate out on a calm, bluebird type day.
    If it blows go, if it doesn't blow, go out farther.

7. craigrh13

craigrh13

more than one old timer has told me the 4 days leading up to a full moon is the best time to hunt. The next full moon is this Sunday.

Sampsons_owner likes this.
  8. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

The week before and the week after a full moon.

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

he’s very adamant about the 4 days prior to it. i’ve honestly never paid attention to it. Him and several others i know plan their vacation along the lunar schedule.

10. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

6CBB1EB3-8512-4913-B9CD-C4ED39BD428C.jpeg I do as well. Arrowed a few hawgs following the full moon lunar cycle.

NbyNW, craigrh13 and BFG like this.
  11. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

My pops religiously watching major and minor lunar schedules for musky fishing.

NbyNW likes this.
  12. TNL

TNL

I've had good luck over the years before and during a strong cold front. One memorable hunt was on a lake connected to Lake Mi. Huge mallards seeking shelter in an afternoon snowstorm in the lee on the north shore. Our decoys looked like a welcome sight to them. We stayed and watched the show after filling our limits. Hurricane Sandy also offered excellent gunning here in MI. And sadly, if you've read about the Armistice Day storm in MN, those guys stayed on the river as the temps were falling because the shooting was so good. My grandfather was there and told me about it. I should write it up here sometime.

As for a full moon, I try to avoid it and if I hunt it, my expectations are low. When it's clear with a full moon, you can bet birds fed during the night and aren't moving as much during the daylight. They also migrate during these periods. But any day hunting beats a day on the couch or at work.

13. Slimjim338

Slimjim338

Completely agree with a clear Full moon night! We have experienced this on st. Clair. Full one day empty the next..

14. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

I only get to hunt the weekends.... I'm hunting regardless of the weather or moon phase.

We call the blind "The coffee shop" for a reason, no matter what the weather, it's still a good place to have a cup of coffee and shoot the ****.

15. AaronJohn

AaronJohn

I've said this for a few years for early seen field hunting geese. If they can eat at night when the moon is bright and the sky is clear...they wont feel the urge to hit hay or wheat that is down. They will sit on water, for the most part.

I'd assume there is some merit there for ducks as well.

My dad says the same about deer hunting, he doesn't get excited during a full moon.