Been almost 30 years....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bmk, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Bmk

Bmk

Been almost 30 years since I have fished the big lakes. Just cannot handle the combat fishing going on in almost all the rivers. No doubt things have changed a lot in that time. Beginning to rig a a used 21ft Starcraft for next year. Is it still riggers or are you doing well with Divers and or leadcore now? Or is a mix of all the way to go? Not looking to copy your setup, just wanting to get it right so as to get a few fish next year for the grandkids. Any help appreciated so as to get the right setup to start fishing in the spring.

andyotto likes this.
  2. Mark Clifford

Mark Clifford

A lot has changed in 30 years. Riggers and divers early. It's rare that riggers catch fish all day. Divers, regular and magnum size, braid or wire when fish are deep. Lead cores in 10,5 and 3 colors is a place to start. Maybe throw in a 300 copper. Spinners and cut bait as well as a nice select
    ion of spoons. The biggest change has been the number of fish. It keeps going down.

andyotto likes this.

3. Bmk

Bmk

Thanks Mark, just trying to get a feel for what works today. Hear a lot about wire divers and leadcore. We never used either that I remember. Back in the day it was all riggers and northport nailers when the fish were out deep.

andyotto likes this.
  4. zfishman

zfishman

There’s a place for everything depending on the day and time of year. It may help to know what ports your planning on fishing. I fish Manistee and without a doubt I’m not getting rid of my wire divers. However, early in the year I don’t need them and I usually do better with downriggers when targeting lake trout. Needless to say even a weekend warrior like myself probably carries 15 different rods in the boat just in case.

sportsman98 and andyotto like this.
  5. andyotto

andyotto

It's definitely an advantage to be versatile. Its effective to be able to fish from top to bottom in water that is shallow or deep. Various presentation ranging from short core (if any weight at all even) to divers to long cores/coppers to riggers all have there place. Early season this year it was all short core and and divers especially slide divers that can get further away from the boat when the fish are up high. Riggers were virtually dead for the first half of the year. As the water warms and this fish drop with the thermocline longer cores, wire divers and riggers start to fire. Good luck and looking forward to your reports out there. Probably see you at the launch now and again.

Edit: Check out youtube videos of all these presentations. It can really shorten the learning curve

CHASINEYES likes this.
  6. Bmk

Bmk

andyotto likes this.
  7. Bmk

Bmk

Thanks for any and all help.
    Is a short core a line you buy, or do you cut up say a 10 color into two fives or three threes?

andyotto likes this.
  8. zfishman

zfishman

I’ve always bought a spool of 20 colors and used what I needed to make up.

andyotto likes this.
  9. BumpRacerX

BumpRacerX

Buy a full core (10 color) and then cut it into 2,3 and 5 colors. Whatever you do don't cut it into a 2 and 4 color because you want to be different and try running a 4 color if you already have a 3 color in your possession.

Google the knots. There's a couple different ways to tie it. I'd have to look at my notes...but one worked great and the other sucked and lost spoons. YMMV.

andyotto likes this.
  10. sportsman98

sportsman98

If your going to be fishing in the spring, check out slide divers. They can be a pain but the flat out catch fish in the shallows.

As others have said, the name of the game now is being versatile. On a given day, I might run lead cores, coppers, a slide diver, a high diver and two mag low divers on wire plus riggers.

Free sliders can be deadly off of riggers as well. I picked up half of my biggest fish last year running a free slider with a down sized spoon on it.

CHASINEYES and andyotto like this.
  11. Bmk

Bmk

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. One more question, when you say slide divers are you using the light bite model, or just regular slide diver?

12. andyotto

andyotto

I use the regulars but either work. Great early season setup.

13. Bay BornNRaised

Bay BornNRaised

Unfortunately Spot on

14. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Go with 1 or 2 riggers. Typical 2 man spread 2 rigger, 2 dipsys depending on if temp high or low want 2 wire and 2 braid set ups. Than for boards leadcore early season than copper once fish hit that 60-70 foot down zone. There are only a few must have lures. For spoon mag silver streak green dolphin glow yellow tail. Run those every time. For first light the bad toad moon shine is very good and flounder pounder I like the standards for these.

Spin doctor white glow pearl and pickled sunshine fly and krw riverside and Aqua gold glow best there is.

UBDSLO1 likes this.
  15. danthebuilder

danthebuilder

I feel like lots of people get overwhelmed with the gear when it comes to trolling. You can troll the rivers right now with mag lips. No fancy gear needed. You can use your rods you use from the bank.

You can also hit the coho very early in the spring in southern lake michigan without all the fancy stuff.

You'd probably have much better luck than targeting the kings.

Southsider1 likes this.