Beaver Trapping Education

Discussion in 'Michigan Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by GVDocHoliday, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

1. What's the largest sized conibear for wet trapping one can use in MI?
    1a) How much of the trap is required to be submerged? Half? All of it?
    2. What is the preferred size leg-hold trap for beaver for dry land?
    3. How is one expected to dispatch a beaver caught in a leg-hold? I ask this question because it appears that it's illegal to dispatch them with a firearm.

Man, the trapping rules sure seem awful restrictive. I'd say almost down right anti-trapping.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

1-no limit 12x16 are about the biggest but not necessary as they only have to get their head in there.
    1a-no amount is defined that I know of
    2- about 7+ inches because of the size of a beavers rear foot
    3-hook the trap to a slide cable/rod/wire

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Yes, the rules could be much better and they are often misinterpreted.

multibeard likes this.
  4. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

I also see now that footholds and snares must be set in a way that the animal is submerged after trapping.

Dang beavers have my entire hunting area flooded. There's gotta be dozens of them over a couple miles.

Will take years to put a dent in them. And it seems like they did all their damage over night.

5. Firefighter

Firefighter

IMO, beaver trapping is the most enjoyable, yet one of the most labor intensive of all species.

Guarantee someone that loves trapping them as much as I do could assist you for the opportunity.

6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Beavers can be easiest and the toughest animals.
    As long as someone hasn't tried to catch them before you can make a quick dent in them, maybe even get them all. But even if you do clean out all the beavers, there's always the more where they came from.
    If you don't get them all and one get educated on what's up, then the chess match begins.

Beavers are very ambitious creatures and two of them can do unbelievable amounts of work over night. It is not uncommon for them to have multiple dams on a stretch of waterway. The 2 year olds get kicked out of mom and pop's territory every spring, so they will disperse to find their own place to call home.
    Fur prices are very low at the moment, will not motivate people to put much effort into chasing them.

dpweurding likes this.
  7. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

May possibly take you up on that.
    It's one of my favorite places to hunt...and I knew something was up in July when I did a walk through and instead of being able to make it through in regular hiking boots, I was standing in knee deep water in the middle of a dang drought.

On the bright side, it did push all the deer out of the river bottom and up into my parents property which made for easier hunting...but I like sitting in the cattails.

I need to get some pictures...in about a 200' stretch there are three separate dams...each one progressively deepening as you get further from the river. Almost every single discharge channel over a 2 mile stretch has been dammed up.

Beaver prices were my suspected reason. I asked a couple of guys I know who trap if they wanted access and they simply responded, "Beaver ain't worth my time." Not enough people buying good quality cowboy hats anymore I guess.

I know my 6yo daughter has been glued to the TV as I stream beaver trapping vids off of youtube. "Daddy, can we watch trapping before bed time?" So for the last 2 weeks Andrew Stanely of the youtube channel TheWildNorth has taken the place of Spirit and My Little Pony.

May have to get the old Golden Hawk Canoe out of the rafters. This entire stretch as a single easy public access and then even easier Private access from the other end through my Parents property.

I'm mainly looking I guess now to do some Conibear sets. From what I'm gathering now after inquiring on multiple sites and my CO buddies, there's no set distance the conibear has to be in the water, just simply touching it.

Thanks for the info.

Scottygvsu likes this.
  8. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I believe that to be correct.

One thing about casually going after the beaver, is that you increase the likelihood that one will get educated by seeing a beaver getting caught and/or in a trap.
    The potential that you have a new hobby (and/or source of frustration) increases exponentially to the I.Q. level of the beaver.

BTW, FnTpost has about the best prices and excellent shipping times.

Firefighter likes this.
  9. GVDocHoliday

GVDocHoliday

Yep, I have used FT in the past when I had a winter off and I tackled a few coyotes. I'll continue to give them my business because as you said, best prices. They're also in MI, and if I recall, if I ordered before 12n on Monday I'd possibly have my items via UPS ground the next day. Can't complain there.

FREEPOP likes this.
  10. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

-330 Duke traps are adaquate
    -you'll need some setters, or you could make your own
    -Stakes, or you could make your own.
    -Gauntlets, especially needed for winter

Personally I try to leave castor lure more for the spring, though it can be used at all times of the year. Fresh poplar is about as good a bait as you can get. You can get some commercial food lures to help the scenting distance but usually not necessary as they have excellent noses.

11. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Not much different in most of the DNR's regulations.

FREEPOP likes this.
  12. dpweurding

dpweurding

One thing to add. I like to have a conibear safety with me. I'm sure advanced 330 trappers could get away without one, but I don't have that much faith in myself without them!

13. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

To save from getting bitten when setting 330 with cold hands I always had them preset with the safety's on before leaving the truck. I kept a piece of rope in both the right and left hand pockets of my coat just in case I needed it to get out of a 330.

14. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I haven't used one for a long time. I know that I'll regret it sooner or later. Oh well, I haven't joined the 330 club yet ;)

Firefighter and Fool'em like this.
  15. dpweurding

dpweurding

You're looking at a guy that has set a colony trap upside down! :oops: I am not calculated enough not to have one with me, lol.

wicklundrh, Firefighter and FREEPOP like this.