Beaver Island Grouse Hunt Video

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by BIGSP, Feb 29, 2020.

1. BIGSP

BIGSP

Here’s a little teaser video from hunt we did last fall on Beaver Island. We were filming an episode of the Flush TV show. Enjoy.

2. jasperdog

jasperdog Premium Member

Cool video and excellent story on Ron Boehme’s podcast..

I think I might want a bigger tender, though...

Interested to see the TV show. I was surprised to see the big cameras. That camera guy got a workout...

3. wirehair

wirehair

Bracco 4:53 :)
    Looks like a lot of Fun!

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Man that looks like a blast. Cant wait for the show. I did one hunting trip on beaver island over a decade ago now. It was a memorable trip. My son was 11 yrs old and he read a story innthe flint journal about turkey hunting on beaver island. I told him to save that article and remind me in February and we will look into it. He pulled it out feb 1st and I began researching. It was an easy trip to plan since it was before their tourism season gets going. We had a blast and my son shot his first big tom there.

I could see him and I going back for some grouse hunting one day.

BIGSP and DanP like this.
  5. DanP

DanP Premium Member

was that public or private land on the island

6. fivegunner

fivegunner

That`s very nice Video , Thank you for posting , I am going to check out those PYKE vest!

7. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I think you can expect to have a fair bit of company, come fall.

8. wpmisport

wpmisport

Looks like a nice thick early season hunt. Dogs had a good time.

9. jasperdog

jasperdog Premium Member

They aren’t exactly hunting on Beaver Island, but a couple of the out islands. It would take a fair amount of logistical support ( that big green boat, for one thing) and it would not be inexpensive.

The weather can be pretty fickle that time of year as well....

on the other hand, it looks like a fun adventure...

To answer an earlier question, plenty of public land out there...

BIGSP likes this.
  10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

As others have said it looked like they were hitting neghboring islands. I bet they did some hunting on beaver island though. There is plenty of stateland on all of them. Beaver island is stateland between 1/3 and half the island from what I remembered when I was there. Most people wre extremely friendly too.

SmartSelect_20200229-184836_Drive.jpeg

Stand By likes this.
  11. DanP

DanP Premium Member

Have never hunted there but have fished the island - neat place. My wife's family lives there year around. I had talked to her family on bird hunting (they are more interested in deer) but
    there is a lot to getting there and its going to cost dollars.

12. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

There are all kinds of experiential bird hunters nationwide, even worldwide, that are looking for someplace new to unleash some dogs.
    The money never enters into the discussion.
    Just saying

fivegunner likes this.
  13. Mike da Carpenter

Mike da Carpenter

As with most things...out of 100 guys, 90 will never even consider it. 7 will wonder what it’s like, 2 will plan to go and if lucky, 1 will show up.

Not many people like to step outside their comfort zone. Those who do, experience some awesome times.

fivegunner likes this.
  14. fivegunner

fivegunner

How Many Bird Hunters would like to get together and Hunt there this Fall.? Maybe a Grouse camp?

nick brown and UPaquariest like this.
  15. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

My family has a place on the island. Usually go up and bird hunt at least a few days before the rifle opener. The old retired guys with more time spend more time up there. The bird hunting is much like the deer hunting. Some years it can be pretty good the next year might be terrible. Depends mostly on winter conditions and predators but bird numbers are definitely inconsistent but there’s plenty of state ground to hunt. Not too bad to get there price wise but there’s plenty of other expenses. You can get round trip fairy tickets for about $60. But if you’re not camping lodging won’t be cheap. Plus expense of getting a truck across which will be $200+. Not nearly as economical as a trip to the UP for the weekend but it is a cool place and if you could get access to a boat to hit some of the surrounding islands I imagine that would be an awesome experience. I’ve been to some of the other islands and they definitely have some bird potential and have always wanted to try it but that would also add to the expense. But if the price isn’t an issue I would recommend it but I would attempt to get a report on the bird population before planning a trip.

fivegunner likes this.