Beaumont study reinforces mask effectiveness

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Tom (mich), Nov 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom (mich)

Tom (mich) Premium Member

2. sourdough44

sourdough44

But do we have to wear one when solo in the deer blind?

3. Tom (mich)

I was gonna write that the study "proved" the effectiveness of masks (like the article states), but I didn't want to experience the inevitable keyboard correction from Pescy.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

So here's the problem. You're making an assumption that deniers will not skew the results to their viewpoint.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  5. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

Only in your vehicle while driving alone

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

People don't like to admit they were wrong.
    Just on this board a well known denier caught COVID, had a household full, nearly dies, and can't bring himself to support mask wearing.

Not unlike the people reported on the news last night that as they lay dying, could not believe corona virus was what was killing them. And denied it until their last words.

All this shows how powerful demagogy can be among humans.

With our country so divided, it's going to be an uphill battle to hold this down until vaccines become widely available. And states are so broke now, the poor(most at risk excepting the elderly) won't easily get the medicines.

7. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

One of my cousins just came down with Covid. He was a denier.

8. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

What do you have to do or think to qualify as a denier?

Does anyone think Covid doesn’t actually exists. Like it’s not really a virus? Who are these people.

Or... does just simply questioning the narrative make you a denier.

Sure masks help. Obviously right? But they also don’t seem to be very effective. Everyone is wearing them and still getting Covid.

It’s amazing to me how people who seem very intelligent have zero Nuance in their thinking. Being intelligent should make you question your own thoughts.

9. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

FIJI, DanSS26, eucman and 2 others like this.
  10. Tom (mich)

Umm, did you actually read the research?

11. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

For simplicity, if a response starts with, "Yeah, but..." It probably is coming from a denier.

Wearing a mask is only about 85-90% effective in protecting the wearer. So, there is always going to be a "Yeah but" component To the discussion.
    Focusing on the "Yeah but" component Changes the focus of the discussion from We can get great results by wearing a mask (but not Perfect results) to "They don't work".

Leading to "They don't work, so I don't want to wear one", And behavior such as, "I will seek every opportunity to not wear one", and the more defiant members of the crowd will purposefully go out in public to demonstrate their defiance.
    All stemming from a chorus of, "Yeah, but"...

That is unsound public health behavior. And it makes disease suppression harder.

12Point, sureshot006 and Lumberman like this.
  12. scubajay

scubajay

I'm wearing my mom's lucky boxer shorts. She gave them to me to keep me safe. She figures since she never caught COVID while wearing them that they must have some protective power.

FIJI likes this.
  13. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Why? If a person already knows what they know, the facts would only be confusing.

14. Fishndude

Fishndude

Where do you live, that "everyone is wearing them?" Because that simply isn't the case, the places I've been, and seen on the news. If we don't actually test the whole, "everyone wearing them" concept, we will never know how well it did, or didn't work. And we really haven't come close to testing all of the preventive measures, together. So we suck out loud at controlling covid, and lots of people are going to die because of it.

Does this make it more real?
    Workers describe 'stressful and chaotic' scene at Muskegon hospital hit hard with COVID-19
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/he...d-chaotic-scene-muskegon-hospital/6317703002/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Northernfisher likes this.
  15. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

Ok. I agree there a tiny percentage of people who completely refuse to wear masks. There’s whack jobs in every walk of life.

I did read it. The research seems to contradict what’s happening in real life. So that leaves me with questions. None of the people I know that haven’t been infected where anti-maskers. I have had Covid and I’ve never went anywhere without a mask.

I don’t know who you’re arguing with anymore. 99% are wearing masks and infection rates are sky rocketing.

FIJI, garyb and 6thMichCav like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.