close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear tooth results

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Reeleasy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Reeleasy

Reeleasy

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if maybe I'm being to inpatient waiting for my bear to be aged by the Mdnr? I shot my bear on Sept 11, 2017 and the tooth was submitted on the 12th but every time I check for the results there are no matches found? Is anyone else having this issue?

2. sureshot006

sureshot006

Maybe email them and see? I contacted the person below, and they were very quick to respond. My question was more about accuracy and other data because I was shocked how young my bear was for its size (but it still fit in their study data set). I don't remember how long I had waited.

cosgrovem1@michigan.gov

3. Reeleasy

Reeleasy

Thanks I'll send them an email.

4. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Emailed them yesterday this is the response I received.

We are getting near completion of the bear aging for the 2017 season. Our normal deadline is to have ages posted to our website by April 1st. We are beginning to push of some of the completed ages to our website this week due to server maintenance that is scheduled. If you check the website on Friday you may see that it is posted. If not, it is probably one still being processed. We are not sure how the scheduled maintenance will affect the website so it may be down for a bit at the beginning of next week. But after the site is back up and running we will post the remaining ages. You can check online at www.michigan.gov/dnr.

5. HTC

HTC Trophy Husband

Same question but regarding Ontario MNR. Has anyone received data back from last fall's Ontario hunt?

6. FishHog

FishHog

Still waiting on my Ontario results. Sent in early October

7. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Anyone get their MI results back yet? They told me April 1st and I've checked the last three days and still says no results

8. Reeleasy

Reeleasy

Mine just says no matches found. I stopped by the dnr customer service center in Lansing to check and they emailed the lab. The lab emailed back with the response of April 1st. Must have just been their joke.

SMITTY1233 likes this.
  9. Reeleasy

Reeleasy

I just got an email from the Dnr they said that they switched to a different system and the I.T. dept is working on fixing the problem. But they were able to tell me the age of my bear. It was 4 years old. 20170911_204022.jpg

10. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

When did you get that email? Nice Bruin

11. Reeleasy

Reeleasy

About 45 min ago

12. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Thanks.... They are going to get sick of hearing form me... LOL...

13. Sprytle

Sprytle Premium Member

I sent an email to Melinda Cosgrove 3/25 and she got back with me the next day.

Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 8:55 AM
    To: Bob Lytle <robertl@vanmanen.com>
    Subject: RE: Bear tooth results

Hi Bob,

It seems there are some issues with the system and it is likely your bear age is not being reported even if it is entered in our database. So I went in and found your record. Your bear age is complete and it was aged as a 5.5 year old female. We also were able to note by the pattern on the tooth section that she had cubs in 2016.

Congrats on your successful hunt!

Melinda

I asked her about the tooth ageing process and how they know when she had cubs.

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:23 AM
    To: Bob Lytle <robertl@vanmanen.com>
    Subject: RE: Bear tooth results

Hi Bob,

The process involves us taking a thin section of the tooth onto a microscope slide. The section is stained (dyed) which allows the growth rings or annuli to appear on the tooth. These annuli are caused by winter stress when the bear is not receiving adequate nutrition. During the rest of the year as the bear is foraging layers of cementum grow on the tooth. But when a female has cubs that layer of growth is much smaller because her nutritional intake is going towards nursing her cubs.

Attached you’ll see an example of what we look for. The dark lines are the winter annuli . These are the lines we count to tell how many winters or years the bear has lived. And the light color in between is the growth. The growth naturally slows as the bear ages but notice how narrow the gap is between lines marked 5 and 6 and between 7 and 8. This is an indicator that the sow had cubs at age 5 and again at age 7. On average they tend to breed every other year as this bear did. Many of them start early though at about age 3. This is a nice clear example, unfortunately not all of them show up this clear! But I hope this helps give you an idea.

upload_2018-4-4_9-54-48.png

Thanks have a great day,

Melinda

I found this very interesting .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Very cool! I sent her an email on 3-20-18 and then again today. Hoping I get some results as well!

Sprytle likes this.
  15. sureshot006

sureshot006

I have been pretty impressed with her responsiveness and complete information. Its not often you get that kind of reply.

Sprytle likes this.