Bear Survey

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by sureshot006, Jan 13, 2021.

1. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

Lower populations would result in lower success rate and lower hunter satisfaction. The document also talked about distribution of hunters in regions. The current structure helps spread them out, thereby avoiding over harvest in particular regions.

Fill out the survey. You can put comments in there that you disagree with how things are done.

buck11pt24 likes this.
  2. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Already done, actually hours ago, before I even posted. Reality is they will do very little. They make more money with application fees. If the average wait or points is 13 your looking at a very expensive resident license if you add all those application fees plus the license fee.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I filled mine out when I received the email from the DNR.

alaska86 and sureshot006 like this.
  4. otterc

otterc

I have been trying to do the survey. When I type in my drivers license number it tells me it is an invalid id and to try another one. Does anyone have any ideas?

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. Fishindeer

Fishindeer

Check your last hunt or fish license make sure it’s the same.

6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

I tried to get in that way too, just to see what other surveys are available, and it didn't work.

7. buck11pt24

buck11pt24

What’s you definition of expensive? I pay over $1000 a year on tags in other states. A Michigan nonresident bear is not expensive compared to hunting other states.

Also I’d love to have a bear tag every year. Problem is that guys like me and my family know what we are doing and we would put a hurting on the population. So I will hunt when I have enough points to draw which should hopefully be at least every other year.

8. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

Been around bear hunting my entire life. Watched dad OTC hunt bears and even my older brother but I never was old enough before the lottery went into effect. I could not think of a worse management idea over going to OTC tags. Limited resource calls for limited hunting especially in certain areas of the state. I hate waiting ten years in my area but I understand why its necessary.

9. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

In the mid-to late 80's more and more over the counter licenses were being sold....also success numbers were going down....plan and simple bear hunting was becoming more popular.....
    But the major reason anti-hunters were working to stop bear hunting first with dogs then go after all bear hunting....
    With area quotas and hunter quotas it would be easer to prove the numbers of bears and a harvestable numbers are available....
    LP in the early 70's you could buy over the counter tags but also needed to apply to hunt and limited permits were issued....

What kind of quality hunt would there be if 35'000 + over the counter tags were sold....sure wouldn't be fun and success rates would be less than 1%....bear number would drop fast....
    Not like a deer where a doe will have 1-2 sometimes 3 fawns a year ...some sows don't breed until the 3-4 years old and then may have twins its very rare more....if they don't have a good fat supply for winter they will abort the fetus to save them selves....on the average a sow needs to weight 160 lbs going into hibernation.....

10. otterc

otterc

I am with you Smitty. I am really concerned with the number of bears they are trying to take out of the Baldwin Unit. I have hunted the Baldwin Unit for thirty years and can already see the difference in numbers compared to ten years ago.

11. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

I will be shocked if Baldwin and Gladwin don't see the October archery only hunt extended into their respective management units.

12. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

13. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

I'am hoping that barrels on Private Land is changed from being limited to 1" holes....have always been able to have any size hole on Private Land ....even on State Land shouldn't make a difference how big a hole or how many....100 yards from a road on State Land was only to benefit dog hunter and nobody else...
    I've been saying ever since barrels were outlawed on State Land that there should be a license for barrels....charge $10 each limit 3 tags made of steel with a serial # must be welded or bolted to the barrel they could be bought at any DNR Office or Bear Check Station and need to be returned to the DNR or Bear Check Station 4 days after the bait barrel is no longer used or 4 days after season ends .....would make enforcing easier for officers.... don't return the tags you cannot buy a hunting - fishing license until you pay $100 Fine and or 3 years you cannot apply for a license or points....

buck11pt24 likes this.
  14. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

You mean that they are removing too many?

Because there is a stupid number of bears where I live and lots of huge bears... I don't have bird feeders or any food on my place other than my gardens and raspberry and strawberries.. I had bear different bear at least once a week in my yard in the daylight last summer... The numbers in the Baldwin unit very greatly from area to area. It's a large unit with greatly varied habitat and ownership mix.. I could kill a bear here and a decent one without breaking a sweat..