close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bear Paw Outfitters (Dan the Bear Man)

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by BigWoods, Sep 22, 2014.

1. mydogisscout

mydogisscout

I spoke with the dnr this morning and they are well aware of this clown. The co said he's watching him and knows he tries to run people off. I was told that if one party would complain directly instead of hearing it secondhand he could nail him for hunter harassment

2. Lakavea

Lakavea

I've had to call the local CO several about being harassed...it has always worked out well for me....and not so well for those doing the harassing.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Maybe this is one of those times when the three S' s should come into play.:lol:

4. base3ecorse

base3ecorse

Who are the good guides you speak of. Need help for next year.

5. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

I know this is an older thread. Anyone know if this clown is still around. My family has also come face to face with this guy. Hung it up for a quite a few years, but gonna give it another go this year. Just wondering if we will be likely to be graced with his presence again?

6. MISTURN3

MISTURN3

I did (a group of 4 of us) a DIY hunt years ago up there..it is doable.. aside from the hassle of driving up each available weekend - we took turns taking care of things - the bear numbers were good and we were all successful. We stated at the state park in baraga right across from the lake and baited up off Dynamite road, L'anse area, etc. It boils down to being able to make that run every weekend to bait......we are holding out for baldwin as that's home base for a couple of us....its easier for me to drive those 3-4 hours from downstate than it is 8-10 to the UP for 4-6 weeks straight. we narrowed our baits down to the most active and concentrated on those.....

graybeard likes this.
  7. BigWoods

BigWoods

Glad yet sorry to see some others have had the same issues. Im not going to put in to draw this year but thinking I will go up and look around again for next season. Im sure if he is baiting the area I will run into him again. I will have my son with me as a partner next year so I dont need his first bear hunt ruined. I did contact the DNR and have a number to call asap if I do have an incident. Next time I will also have my cell phone to video it all as well.

8. SWMbruiser

SWMbruiser

That is our concern. It is my first attempt with my family. And they always did DIY. But he really soured us on doing it for a while and they tried the guide route once and didn't care for it. Something to be said for doing it yourself as well. Just hate to accumulate points for several years and then have some guy pouring gas or whatever on our baits. Several 10 hour trips is a lot of work to have some guy really ruin the fun or attempt to sabotage the trip.

MISTURN3 likes this.
  9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I can't tell you if he is still running a bear hunting service but he does still guide pike fishing trips out of Chassell area in the winter. My son was a freshman at MTU last winter and did quite a bit of ice fishing. Lots of guys told stories about him and said to steer clear. One of his clients caught a real monster of a pike last year and word got around about it.

10. Bearboy

Bearboy

That's Northwoods guide service In Chassell Dan

11. mydogisscout

mydogisscout

I didn't see him year before last, but I did see him last year baiting in the same area. He went as far as to take my logs off my bait and put them on his. Seems he liked one of my established bait sites enough to put one 30 yards away

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  12. BigWoods

BigWoods

I had an established bait back on a two track in about 2.5 - 3mi and then about another quarter mile walk from there. The last time I was drawn he put in a new bait that I had to drive past to get to the bait I had established years before. His new bait was within a quarter to a hafe mile off a paved road and within site of the two track (driveway) that a client was going to hunt. He come unglued on me for bothering his area. There is an actual house at the end of the two track that people drive in and out all the time. I think he was just trying to scare me out of "his" area but he has so much land baited that its almost impossible to bait away from him and all others. I didnt see where 2 miles was too awful close and I had been there previously which he knew. He also claimed I walked right past his bait to my stand and his client could see me in my stand. lol He has some big stories and claims.

13. Martian

Martian

on my only self hunt, I did meet a guy as I was setting up my bait, he told me where he was running 3 baits , and asked if I could stay clear, but he was very polite in his conversation with me, and even helpful, on how to set up a bait. This Dan the Dickhead, , if he were to say I am calling the DNR, I believe I would have said no, I am calling him right now, and tell them of his threatening posture, and maybe got a response right then, after I wrote his plate # down