Bear a Poaching This Week.

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Luv2hunteup, Jun 12, 2020.

1. MichiFishy

MichiFishy

The usual scumbags strike again, awful. At least they were able to save the cubs.

jakeo likes this.

2. cireofmi

cireofmi

Hasn't even been too long that another mother bear was shot while with cubs in the area.

3. laserstraight

laserstraight

4. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

Doesn’t really sound like a poacher. I’m guessing someone shot it because it was doing damage to property.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Premium Member

What a lowlife. Too make it worse the animal had to suffer along with the cubs for a day or two. I hope justice finds it's way.

6. Biggbear

Biggbear

7. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

All the article states is they found a bear with a gunshot wound. That’s all. If someone was poaching, I would believe they would have a motive such as meat, trophy, gull bladder ect.

Nothing was stated about walking or talking like a duck

8. Big Skip

Big Skip

The act is still considered poaching regardless of what is done w the animal is what I think he getting at. Either way scumbag, douche, lowlife ya I agree.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Biggbear likes this.
  9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Despicable act nonetheless, and I am not trying to defend anybody, but I would like to know "the rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey would say.

This won't surprise some but surely others will say "hogwash" and condemn the Meister as FOS but there are people who reside permanently or part time in bear country that shouldn't be there because their fear of bears (wolves too but that is another subject) can best be described as irrational.

In my past life it was common, yes common, to field calls from near frantic people that demanded something done about a bear that they saw or merely heard about that ran across a road a half mile or more away. The only way to calm them was for a CO, biologist, or anyone in a marked vehicle to stop by, look around a little and tell them the bear had moved on.

Then there the absentee owners at their summer place who ask for someone to look at their trees. When you arrive and are invited in there was some sort of firearm propped up next to the door, "in case there's a bear" (or wolf). What do you say to those people? They obviously feel they have a need to shoot on sight. Why? Because its a bear, that's why. If a person has that much fear of a bear how can they possibly enjoy being where they are?

I suspect, but certainly do not know for sure, that someone's arguably unfounded fear resulted in three orphan cubs. FM

Scout 2 and MichiFishy like this.
  10. plugger

plugger Premium Member

The area where this is has been a hotspot of of bear people conflicts. My farm is just a couple miles north and while i have had some crop damage no real conflicts.

DoubleJay likes this.
  11. Biggbear

Biggbear

You're messing with us right? Is it bear season? Nope. Then the only other reason to shoot it that would not be poaching would be an honest to god, the damn thing is running at me, gonna kill me bear attack.

If someone was legitimately being attacked and shot it, they would have called the DNR or 911 to report it. No one did. I stand by my statement. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Or in this case a poacher.

12. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

You know nothing of this event just like the officers investigating. My point was that this doesn’t sound like a poacher. What benefit would someone have to shoot a sow with cubs in the back end?

As I stated, it sounds more like someone cracked a round off because the bear was doing damage, scared them, was about to do damage, ect. It doesn’t make it right, BUT to just call this person a poacher doesn’t seam to fit the bill to me.

You exclaim, walks like a duck/ talks like a duck yet I dont personally feel we are even talking about a duck...

13. Duckiller

Duckiller

Boomer if you shoot an animal out of season that isn't trying to kill you. you are a poacher!!!Don't make excuses for such people. Ypu din't like bears,wolves deer hunters , don't live in the UP or northern LP.

Biggbear likes this.
  14. boomer_x7

boomer_x7

So you know this bear wasn’t trying to hurt someone or their property?