close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bead for steelhead help

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Dpricher, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Love using the red brushes, they give my bead a "blood dot" look which I like.

2. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

IMG_1164.PNG

3. apeterf87

apeterf87

Not to hijack the thread, but some dumb questions...

1. Is the normal preferred way to fish beads under a float similar to spawn or jigs? Or is more common to bottom bounce beads?

2. Do I need to add any weight to my rig if I am float fishing it, to get the bait down to the bottom? I suppose the beads have a natural tendency to sink, but is it enough?

3. Most importantly, would I ever have a good reason to fish beads if I have eggs available? Are there any situations that beads (with scent) would ever outfish skein, single eggs, or spawn bags?

4. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

Beads can be either fished under a float, or bottom bounced. Yes you need to add weight to the presentation when float fishing them similar to float fishing with spawn, and there are definitely days when beads wil outfish everything,including spawn and jigs and waxies. They are another weapon in my arsenal. Most beads have a neutral buoyancy, but glass beads will sink quickly similar to split shot are are typically used in fast water to get down quickly.

flyrodder46 likes this.
  5. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Agreed, beads have their days where nothing else is needed, not even scent.... and there are days they won’t touch any color bead you throw at them but will crush bags. Like bob eludes, have all the weapons in your arsenal you can afford, everything has its time and place.

Bob Hunter likes this.
  6. Dpricher

Dpricher

What are the scents that are the most effective? I have used anise oil and thought that made a little difference?

Bob Hunter likes this.
  7. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

I have crushes up salmon eggs in a bottle and I dip the bead in the juice, I like Dr Juice trout/salmon juice also, but most of the time I don't use scent at all.

8. apeterf87

apeterf87

To get the bead down to the bottom of the river when using a float, is it preferred to "shirt button" split shot on your leader similar to using spawn bags or jigs? Or is there another method that's preferred?

9. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

You can shirt button,or bulk shot right above your leader.

10. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

RobW likes this.
  11. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I like procure gel scents personally. They have a few, salmon egg, garlic, steelhead combo, anise.... try them out. I like them.

Dpricher likes this.