Bead fishing in Michigan - Flossing?

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by EZDUZIT, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EZDUZIT

EZDUZIT

Is Bead fishing flossing?

2. jd4223

jd4223

Not if you're running them under a float. Now as far as bottom bouncing them...who knows?

3. TK81

TK81 Premium Member

Lots of float fish hooked outside the mouth, which is pretty much the intent. So guys keep these fish?:eek: That said, flossing is a separate art.

Additionally, I've seen some guys that were pretty good a hooking non-biters by drifting egg flies under a bobber (or indicator if you prefer).

jd4223 likes this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

No it isnt flossing. Ive been running beads since 07. Mostly under Bob's but drift some. I've site fished unmolested fish and watched them move a long ways for a bead. Yes some fish are hooked on outside nature of bead being away from hook. Funny how you cNt floss them on some colors but other ones are on fire. Yarn can be deadly under a Bob too. Have I flossed any over the year with a pin...who knows. Probably at some.point a few. Flossing is in how you are fishing. Not as much as what you are fishing.

5. Abel

Abel

the intent of keeping the bead away from the hook is to hook the fish outside the mouth. When a fish picks up that single egg ya think he chews it? No, they just suck it down like a cheap hooker, causes a lot of gut hooked fish. That's the reason for putting the hook about 1-2" from bead, fish hits bead, hook is just around the corner of mouth.

6. Bob Hunter

Bob Hunter

If you’re bottom bouncing beads, or anything else on a very long leader , yes, it is flossing, but fished correctly on a 2-3’ leader fishing steelhead in a dark hole or run, then no.

7. Ojh

Ojh

I think it has a lot to do with how you move. I enjoy the bouncing and will make several sweeps in a spot, stick an oar in the water and move down a boat length. I figure the fish have had a look at the bead and if they wanted it they'd have taken it, my job is to move and find the fish that wants it.
    I think the boat that sits in the same spot for hours, casting into the same hole over and over until he hooks a fish is flossing. But then, most of those guys are in guide boats and release the fish anyway, I just don't think they know the difference.

8. fishinfever

fishinfever

Flossing is sort of a "technique" independent of what you are using it is how you are using it.
    Bobbers, sinking line, flies, beads or even bare hooks flossers are gonna floss. :smile-mad
    Good luck, FF

Whitetail_hunter and Shoeman like this.
  9. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Did you guys fall into a trap?

10. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

My dentist tells me I should floss more every time I see him...seems like I should ask for a note to show the game warden...LOL

11. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

My dentist tells me the same. I guess I’d floss better if the hygienist came swiping at my pie hole with an arm span of 10lb flouro to show me what I was doing wrong with shorter floss.

Bucket-Back, bborow2501 and 6Speed like this.
  12. hypox

hypox

Maybe just the act of fishing is flossing? I mean, I always thought the point of fishing was to get your lure/bait in front of a fish.

13. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

It is beginning to look to me like no matter how I catch a steelhead it's wrong. Was tossing a black streamer over on the big Man and had some jerk tell me that I was flossing those fish. I fished for 9 hours and never landed a fish.

Sparky23 likes this.
  14. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Not unless you bob skein or plug them .... at least around here

MI steelheader-Joe likes this.
  15. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Or on a pin.... WTF!

Whitetail_hunter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.