Be careful where you walk!!!!

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Maple_Ridge, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Maple_Ridge

Maple_Ridge

So I get done hunting tonight, get all my gear wrapped up, check the trail cam, start heading back up the farm lane to my truck. Done it 100's of times.

I get down the lane with no light on, see something in the trail about 10 yards out, I'm still walking.

Hmmmm....Looks like maybe a cat? Then I saw the white stripes. Yeah...you guessed it.

Then I saw the tail raise up....

RETREAT.......

I spun around and tip toed outta there!! Little buggar! Thankfully no spray was used but he was armed and loaded!

Watch where you walk, could have been a different ending for me if I was closer to that skunk! YIKES!!!

2. bobsbeads

bobsbeads

You would have your cover sent for tomorrow.

crb, U.P.Grouse Chaser, Dish7 and 3 others like this.

3. Badfishmi

Badfishmi

Great cover scent as mentioned

John Hine and birdshooter like this.
  4. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

I’ve seen the “cat in the woods” also. I got to the truck thinking I didn’t get sprayed. Nope certainly got a little dusting!

jiggin is livin and John Hine like this.
  5. "Big Tuna"

"Big Tuna"

I've smelt and seen them on my way back up to the house after a evening sit. Ive had a few times when they actually have followed me for aways because they heard me walking.

John Hine likes this.
  6. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Been there a couple times .Once the wife and i were tracking a blood trail and i shined the light in front of her and a skunk was 5 ft in front of her and she had no clue .Lucky i seen it and stopped her .

John Hine likes this.
  7. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

I have been sprayed, thankfully I had on work bibs on and was able to take them off and put them in the back of the truck. I only got hit with a little bit but my father in law who is much slower than me to react got drilled. I wish he would have got in the back of the truck.
    Flight

8. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Met one like that after an evening sit. We were less than 6 ft away from a head on collision when I noticed him. With my pace it was too late for a retreat. Both of us maintained our forward movement only I gave berth. We passed within 3 ft. That one's burnt into the memory bank.

flint and jiggin is livin like this.
  9. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I had one come by me one time sitting on the ground. It had no idea I was there (I think) and when I saw it I almost flinched. I sat there like a statue hoping it wouldn't see me and freak out. It kept going and ended up out of sight. I was sure to be slow getting up though and not scare it into a reaction, just in case he was still near!

Jeffish74 likes this.
  10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

You almost made the club. :D

I've been sprayed three times.

jiggin is livin and Maple_Ridge like this.
  11. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

when they thump their feet on the ground you better turn around.

jiggin is livin and Dish7 like this.
  12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I hope I never earn my membership. Lol

13. Dish7

Dish7

Yep, caught one in a live trap in my dad's sweet corn patch once. It took a full day of hanging around the trap to get that skunk to relax enough to quit playing the bongos and let me stand on top of the trap and open the door. Good times, lol.

brushbuster likes this.
  14. Dish7

Dish7

Wow. Get sprayed once, shame on the skunk. Get sprayed twice, shame on you. Not sure where to go with number three, lol. :eek::D

Lightfoot likes this.
  15. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I walked up on one in the dark once. I was slowly walking away from my stand without a light on, I hear a very distinct thumping noise by my feet, I look down and just 3 feet away I see the drummer, after a quick outburst of expletives I did an about face and went back where I came from thankful I dodged a bullet.

U.P.Grouse Chaser and Dish7 like this.