Be careful, its cold but not cold enough....

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by walleyerick, Jan 12, 2016.

1. walleyerick

walleyerick

to make serious ice. I know everyone wants to get out, but we really have not had serious cold yet to make good ice. We have only really had one night around here that was in the single digits. Lake Fenton (where I live) is locked up on the South end, but the North side had whitecaps this morning, a couple of the canals I looked at had openings still this morning as well. Now with this snow on top, it will really make for some ununiformed ice. Im not telling anyone not to go, but be careful out there. The past two years of serious cold have made us forget that all winters are not alike.

2. ice ghost

ice ghost

I would have to disagree on the not cold enough but here in the SW we are getting hammered by lake effect snow right now. I stopped looking out the window at work. Hopefully it rains Friday and drops the snow down tight otherwise its not gonna be good.

3. DaveW731

DaveW731

I think it can vary from lake to lake as well. One may be OK, the other not.

4. DaveW731

DaveW731

I think it also varies quite a bit from one lake to the next, even when they are close to each other.

5. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I think what he means is, it's not cold enough with the snow, sure it would definitely be cold enough to build solid ice without the snow. 10" or so of insulator snow needed, negative numbers below zero to freeze up the slush, not teens. Most lakes aren't here (TC area) are frozen with 2" of questionable ice then 3-8" of slush with 6" of snow on them. It's a disaster waiting to happen until we have some extended cold to lock em up good, then once then lock up it will quickly turn into a foot of ice, due to the slush freezing up.

Boardman Brookies and Corey K like this.
  6. john warren

john warren

well, by the end if the week I'm thinking we should be good to go. will go out and test on my local lake saturday,,if it has enough ice I will run in and get some bait and see if I can't muster up enough gills for some bluegill fishcakes. maybe even some bluegill tacos

oh, northern Oakland county

7. Boardman Brookies

Boardman Brookies

What lakes have you checked? Just curious. I want to get out but no way am I pushing it.

8. Chris13

Chris13

Just tapped 4 holes at 10 ft apart from shore to 40 ft out 3 inches consistently as long as it doesn't get to warm Friday we should be golden for this weekend... May risk setting a tip up Thursday evening and watching from shore

SE Livingston county near whitmore