Be careful folks

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by ryan-b, Apr 27, 2020.

1. ryan-b

ryan-b

Got back to my truck this morning to find this on my windshield from a CO. Never new you could be cited for parking to far off the road on public land. Could see if you damaged a bunch of trees and stuff.
    Was parked exactly 23.67 yards off a very busy M72 in the open on public land. Didnt damage a tree, dig up dirt, notta. Just bent a few blades of field grass. DNR must be super bored. F8D091FA-8AE4-4FB5-B536-C6EECDB64896.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. BayBound

BayBound

That is strange. Usually there is a sign with some sort of berm or barrier that makes it pretty obvious where you cannot go. I’d give him a call and politely ask if you missed the yellow lines? As you mentioned, must be very bored!

3. wpmisport

wpmisport

Must not be normal state land if it was you could park and camp there with a permit.

MossyHorns likes this.
  4. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

That's exactly what I was thinking. A lot of people camp in the woods on state or federal land and are always farther than 50' off a road. It would have been nice for the CO to leave some guidance to the rule, because I see a lot of people parking along the roadside looking for morels this time of year.

wpmisport likes this.
  5. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

The citation is a little odd. The CO wrote you were in violation of parking but that’s subsection (A) of that law; subsection (B), which is what the CO cited, deals with trash.

You can probably get it tossed on a technicality, but additional information would be nice...

Did you by chance pull off the road really close to a marked parking area? Was there a ton of trash next to your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

His buddy probably knows a good shroom spot close to where you parked or maybe he has been watching a big Tom strutting the woods? I’d be in court either way it sounds like you were treading lightly if any laws were broke.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  7. FIJI

FIJI IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives! Premium Member

I've had ORV stickers on all my Suburbans since I ran into a CO years ago in the U.P. who INSISTED..."If your wheels are not parked ON the road, you are OFF road". Actually, he was pissed about not catching me hunting (turkey) illegally. I think I might have been in "his" spot by the way he acted. ORV Stickers are cheaper than fines/court dates.

Bucket-Back likes this.
  8. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission

I would take it to court for sure. If the CO shows up don’t be an a** and he will probably be pretty fair. How much is the ticket?