BC Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by Huntmaster143, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Now that we are past the holiday’s and nearing the end of a very busy January for me, I figure it’s time to get this thread going. This hunt started all the way back in 2011 when I first started researching goat hunts and I very quickly narrowed down my selection to an outfitter that was having great archery success.

However, just as I was going to book a hunt, I found out that we were going to have our third child and all three were going to be three and under, so I figured I better push the hunt off a bit until the kids get a bit older so it wasn’t so hard on my bride while I was gone.

So in 2014, I start getting the itch again and reconnect with the outfitter only to find out they are totally booked until 2017. I wanted to wait some, but not really that long… Luckily a few days later, the outfitter called me back and mentioned that he had a guy that wanted to push his hunt back, so that opened up a date in 2016 for me. Perfect, now we just have to get the dates locked in, deposit in the mail and it will be official.

A few days after confirming with the outfitter, this shows up!

[​IMG]

2. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

After the contract is signed and sent back, I now have my first alpine hunt locked up and I only have two years to wait to experience views like these…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So over the past year and half, I have been following posts on other sites of guys that have hunted with the outfitter. Here are a few pics I pulled from their posts to show the area that I will be hunting in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you haven’t really ever looked at where a mountain goat lives, these will give you an idea of the type of terrain they can traverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

I was happy to get later dates because I think the majority of a trophy goat comes from the hair. My goat won’t have this long of hair, but this gives you an idea of how long their hair gets in late winter.

[​IMG]

This one is closer to the length of hair the goats should have during my hunt.

[​IMG]

So at this point, I only have 7 and a half months until I get to chase these cool critters on the edge of the cliffs in some beautiful country! My main target is mountain goat, but if I tag out early, I will have a moose and grizzly tag in my pocket as well. The moose in this area aren’t overly large, but they do take some decent ones every now and again. And what more could be said about spot and stalk grizzly with a bow.

From this point on, my focus will be on my conditioning and getting my bow ready for this hunt. I have to practice some extreme angle shots and finding a steep hill in my area is going to be a chore.

buckykm1, jasonmeekhof, Bomba and 3 others like this.
  4. goodworkstractors

goodworkstractors Sponsor

Love the power of positive thinking. Not if I get a goat, simply "my goat".

I look forward to tracking this journey through it's successful completion!

Huntmaster143 likes this.
  5. jasonmeekhof

jasonmeekhof

Keep in mind that angle compensating range finders do not compensate correctly at angles above something like 25 degrees.

6. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

It's about dang time! :D

7. brushbuster

brushbuster

Beautiful. The pics make me homesick for Alaska. Looking forward to your reports.

8. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

On a hunt, I wake up every morning expecting to kill that day! Positive attitude goes a long way towards having a successful hunt.

9. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Can you explain that a bit more? That's the first I have heard of them having a limit to the angle computation.

I just reread my range finders (Leupold 1000i TBR) owners manual and it was giving examples of 40* shot angles right in the manual. It didn't list a limit anywhere in the manual for angle, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't one. Can't say I've tested the angle compensation part of mine very much since I've owned it.

10. jasonmeekhof

jasonmeekhof

It has to do with the equations using cosine and the actual distance will be slightly different
    Here is a decent explanation starting at minutes 58 the rest of the podcast is really good to. You can also find the audio version on the gritty bowmen website.

The Doob, Huntmaster143 and QDMAMAN like this.
  11. Hunting18

Hunting18

Wow! Beautiful area you will be heading. But looks like you better start exercising like a goat as terrain looks ruff!

12. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

After listening to the podcast, I guess I have heard that before.

Here is a cut from the owners manual of my rangefinder and it looks like they have addressed that to some degree with the TBR. Interesting none the less as there certainly will be steep uphill and downhill shots for this type of hunt.

Another truly innovative and unique feature is True Ballistic Range (TBR), which is available on the RX-1200i TBR model.
    TBR algorithms were developed by the same engineers who developed Sierra Infinity Exterior
    Ballistics Software and who helped develop navigation and guidance systems for ICBMs and
    other missiles with far more demanding trajectory requirements than a hunting bullet. TBR is a
    marriage of laser ranging, an inclinometer, and an advanced computerized ballistics program.
    The result is distance measurements accurate to less than a yard, no matter the angle at which
    the laser is fired. Bullets and arrows travel in a ballistic arc, yet conventional rangefinders
    Introduction 4 only provide a linear distance to your target. TBR delivers the ballistic equivalent range to the
    target, accounting for the effects of inclines or declines on the path of your bullet or arrow. Other
    features that are provided for firearms are outputs that display either MOA adjustments, or
    inches / centimeters / mils of holdover at that specific distance. TBR eliminates any potentially
    significant error, and provides a precise range for your aiming calculations. TBR is matched to
    each of seven firearm ballistics groups or archery ballistics, allowing use with most popular
    firearms and modern bows.

jasonmeekhof and QDMAMAN like this.
  13. rollin stone

rollin stone

Good luck Huntmaster can't wait to see your goat.

14. Huntmaster143

Huntmaster143

Thanks, me either!

15. deepwoods

deepwoods Premium Member

This has been one of my dream hunts since I was a kid. Best of luck to you. They are incredible animals.